OBJECTIVE OF POSITION |
The Network/Security Engineer’s role is to support the stable operation of the in-house computer network. This includes planning, designing, installing, configuring, maintaining, and optimizing all network hardware, software, and communication links while ensuring minimal network downtime. The person will also diagnose, resolve, and document hardware and software network problems in a timely and accurate fashion, and provide end user training and support where required.
Strategy & Planning
· Collaborate with management/core team to create optimal network design topologies and configurations.
· Work with end users and department heads to identify and document required network service levels. Work to meet service level agreements with end users.
· Aid in development of business continuity and disaster recovery plans, and maintain current knowledge of plan executables. Respond to emergency network outages in accordance with business continuity and disaster recovery plans.
· Prepare and ensure accuracy of documentation, procedures manuals, and help sheets for network installations, including data, voice, and video systems.
Acquisition & Deployment
· Support development and implementation of networking projects and new technology installations.
· Conduct research on network products, services, protocols, and standards in support of network procurement and development efforts. Evaluate and recommend for purchase networking hardware and software products.
· Write technical specifications for purchase of networking hardware and software products.
· Install, configure, test, maintain, monitor, and troubleshoot end user workstation hardware, software, networked peripheral devices, cabling, and networking hardware and software products.
· Maintain security solutions, including firewall, anti-virus, and intrusion detection systems.
· Maintain all network hardware and equipment, including routers, switches, hubs, and firewalls.
· Monitor and test network performance and provide network performance statistics and reports.
· Receive and respond to incoming calls, pages, and/or e-mails regarding network connectivity problems.
· Perform on-site analyze, diagnosis, and resolution of complex network problems for a variety of end users, and recommend and implement corrective hardware and software solutions, including off-site repair.
· Recommend, schedule, and perform network improvements, upgrades, and repairs.
· Practice network asset management, including maintenance of network component inventory.
· Prepare, maintain, and adhere to procedures for logging, reporting, and statistically monitoring network data.
· Liaise with, and provide training and support to, help desk support staff on network issues.
· Perform server and security audits using Nessus.
· Perform system backups and recovery of network devices.
· Provide guidance to junior members of the team as required.
Formal Education & Certification
· College diploma or university degree in the field of computer science and/or 5 years equivalent work experience.
· Certifications in CISSP, CCNA, CCNP preferred.
Knowledge & Experience
· Working technical knowledge of network and PC operating systems, including Cisco IOS, Windows platform.
· Extensive application support experience with Nessus and Solarwinds
· Working technical knowledge of current network hardware, protocols, and standards, including VPN/SSL VPN, Network Design, Network Security, TCP/IP, Active Directory, Routing Protocols, Windows platform, Cisco IOS, Cisco Call Manager, Cisco ASA, 802.xxx wireless protocols
· Ability to operate network component analyzers, scanners, and testers.
· Hands-on hardware troubleshooting experience.
· Understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives.
· Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws including PCI and Sarbanes–Oxley
· Strong written and oral communication skills.
· Good interpersonal skills.
· Ability to conduct research into networking issues and products as required.
· Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
· Self-motivated and directed.
· Keen attention to detail.
· Analytical and problem-solving abilities.
· Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
· Strong customer service orientation.
· Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
Kirkland's - 6 months ago
When you just deplore your bare wood floor and feel the need to improve your home's décor, Kirkland's hopes you'll explore...