CPS Energy is the Largest Municipally Owned Energy Company in the Nation Providing Both Gas and Electricity to San Antonio and surrounding communities. For over 80 years CPS Energy employees have provided for the energy needs of over 600,000 industrial, commercial and residential customers in the greater San Antonio, Texas area. We have a strong history of industry leading, financial performance, customer satisfaction, and participation in economic development, and community involvement.Thanks to our status as a community-owned, not-for-profit energy utility and our diversified mix of fuels, we are able to provide our customers with reliable and more affordable energy services than many other companies.
We also offer a competitive compensation and benefits package with excellent career opportunities for both professional and personal growth. Presently, CPS Energy is hiring for a Network Admin 2/3 position. See how CPS Energy can ~ work for you! “
This position and individual are directly responsible for designing, engineering, building, installing,
configuration, testing, maintaining and supporting the Enterprise Cisco network infrastructure (365x24x7). This position will also ensure that the proper team documentation is completed for business continuity, connectivity maps, system configurations, recovery procedures, advanced troubleshooting and break fix procedures. This position will provide support in pre-project research and analysis, CAB, ARB and all customer calls.
• Designs, Installs, configures and supports the CPS Energy Enterprise local area network (LAN), wide area network (WAN) and Internet systems. Maintains network hardware and software. Monitors network to ensure network availability to all system users and performs necessary maintenance to support network availability.
• Possess and maintain a thorough knowledge of installation practices, testing techniques, and troubleshooting of various types of Cisco hardware, software, routing protocols, and networking.
• Possess a thorough knowledge of IT networking systems including the ability to install, maintain, and program network switch devices, routers, firewalls, IPS, IDS. Be able to evaluate and diagnose network LAN/WAN systems
• Provide 24/7 emergency response for all network infrastructure systems including call duty on a frequent basis.
• Perform as lead analyst on multiple projects and coordination of various project stakeholders
• Consolidates and transforms data-center footprint, part of CPS Energy’s strategic objectives, by simplifying and standardizing core Cisco infrastructure and corporate networking services.
• Performs data backups and disaster recovery operations for network infrastructure devices.
• Provide technical expertise of network related issues
•Work within approved budgets
• Develop and maintain customer and contractor relationships
• Collaborates with other corporate business units to proactively identify networking infrastructure needs and develop plans to facilitate them
• Perform continuous reviews of in-service information technology systems for capacity, performance, product and technology updates
• Be proficient at report writing and a working knowledge of the office suite of products
• Have a valid drivers license.
• Pass a NERC required Personal Risk Assessment.
• Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally with or without accommodation, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
High school or GED
Bachelors degree in Business Administration, Computer Science, Mgmt Information Systems or related field of study- preferred.
•3 years experience supporting Cisco AVVID networks to include strong performance tuning and capacity planning experience, experience with Open-View, Orion monitoring or other enterprise network monitoring systems. In-depth network security background and incident response experience. Experience with packet capture tools such as Wire Shark.
• Prefer 5+ years experience supporting Cisco networks
• Takes ownership of actions and follows through to completion by agreed upon due dates
• Ability to manage multiple priorities related to multiple projects at once, and work collaboratively
across organizational lines
• Analytic ability in order to research technical issues and generate creative/innovative solutions
• Strong background in network system programming, configuration, and security management,
• In‐depth technical understanding, troubleshooting, and deployment experience with Cisco
technologies. (AVVID, Controller based WiFi, etc)
• High proficiency with Routing Protocols, VPN, ASA's and IPS firewalls
• Strong performance tuning and capacity planning experience
• Experience with Cisco Prime Infrastructure
• Experience with Cisco ISE
• Experience with Cisco Nexxus Product Line
• Experience with Cisco 1000v Nexxus switch
• Ability to manage and work with technical consultants and/or contractors
License & Certification
•CCNA, CCNP, CCIE Preferred
•ITIL Foundation (v3 Preferred)
•Valid Class C Texas Driver’s License
1. Very important to this position are: analytical, systems analysis, active learning, active listening, complex problem solving, critical thinking, monitoring, operations analysis, speaking, systems evaluation, judgment and decision making.
2. Important to this position are: problem sensitivity, information ordering, near vision, finger dexterity.
3. Takes ownership of actions and follows through to completion by agreed upon due dates.
Employees must exhibit and adhere to all of our CPS Energy Core Behavioral Principles. The CPS Energy Behavioral Principles in line with this role are:
One Company Mindset
Focuses on our whole business, putting CPS Energy first, and looking beyond the interests of department, location, or individual
Reaches across organizational boundaries to share resources, form high performance teams, and produce results for CPS Energy
Standardizes on process, procedures and best practices
Engagement and Sense of Urgency
Maintains focus on results, intensity, and persistence, even when times are tough
Exhibits a bias for action, going beyond what is expected
Demonstrates strong sense of purpose, willingness to work hard, and pride in overcoming challenges to produce results
Is willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done, in accord with our values and behavioral principles, and leads others to do the same
Is committed to continuous improvement of our business
And the award for being the energy distributor for the seventh-largest city in the US goes to City Public Service of San Antonio (also known...