Posting Job Title: Network Engineer 1 - Edge Access Team
Requisition #: 143432BR
Posting Location: San Antonio, TX, US
Area of Interest: Engineering/Technical Operations
Position Type: Full Time
Posting Job Description
The Network Engineer will be responsible for designing, deploying, managing, and ensuring stability of the local/wide area network infrastructure technologies to provide high availability, fault tolerance, and scalability to effectively and efficiently support mission critical business systems. Demonstrates a high level of competence in LAN/WAN technologies, routing and switching platforms, troubleshooting critical issues, and coordination of implementation. Represents the Engineering Department working closely with regional Architects and Engineers in designing, modeling, and implementing new technologies within the division. Performs moves, adds, and changes of equipment and systems specifically following the designated change management policies.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Develop innovative solutions and maintain network monitoring and system performance tools, techniques, policies and procedures. Configure, service and support all routing and switching equipment necessary for the delivery of Metro Ethernet services, regional Ethernet and inter-regional Ethernet services. This includes all equipment, both active and passive, in the both the core and metro network.
2. Troubleshoots and resolves critical network and system issues.
3. Project management - document project requirements including scope, costs, schedule, testing and terms of delivery to ensure project is completed with highest level of quality on time and within budget.
4. Mentors and trains other Engineering personnel in key elements of networking systems and provides technical presentations to instruct co-workers and other production services support individuals.
5. Research and identify technology opportunities and their application to the business.
6. Test and validate all new hardware and connections for proper configuration and performance.
7. As part of an on-call/standby rotation, respond to afterhours call-out for service restoration, troubleshooting, network testing and repair of all necessary equipment.
8. Track all equipment RMAs and ensure that proper levels of spare inventory are maintained.
9. Other duties as assigned.
1. Required - Extensive knowledge and hands-on experience of LAN, WAN, and telecommunication equipment, understanding of all OSI layers from application to physical, knowledge of RIP, OSPF and BGP, and experience with bandwidth utilization monitoring.
2. Required - 1 to 3 years of hands-on experience supporting/maintaining Cisco and other major firewall technology platforms.
3. Required - 1 to 3 years of hands-on experience supporting/maintaining VPN, proxies, system hardening, security policies with extensive knowledge of security practices/technologies.
4. Working knowledge and experience with Windows Network OS and Microsoft Active Directory.
5. Must be able to function effectively in a team environment to accomplish team goals.
6. Must have the ability to facilitate and lead meetings to negotiate understanding and agreement; provide lead work direction and perform project management responsibilities, including developing logical, efficient project plans, establishing priorities, assigning and delegating tasks, providing guidance and training to team members, anticipating and avoiding problems, monitoring and managing task completion and working collaboratively with team members, other Engineering staff and customer groups to ensure project accountability
7. Time Management - Must have the ability to balance responsibilities for multiple projects to ensure timely results, prioritize critical tasks and meet demands in the most effective and efficient manner.
8. Problem Solving - Must have the ability to troubleshoot, diagnose and resolve complex systems problems and demonstrate advanced knowledge of decision-making techniques.
9. Must have the ability to evaluate alternatives and make sound independent decisions within established guidelines; communicate clearly and effectively to diverse audiences of technical and non-technical personnel orally and in writing; plan and conduct effective customer training programs; prepare clear, concise and accurate documentation, reports of work performed, project management reports and other written materials
10. Must have demonstrated experience utilizing structured change and project management methodologies.
11. Customer Focus - Must have the ability to establish and maintain effective customer focused working relationships with managers, customers, vendors, consultants, employees and others encountered in the course of work
12. Customer Focus - demonstrates advanced knowledge and ability to provide high levels of service to both internal and external customers, leading to high customer satisfaction and established relationships.
13. Integrity and Trust - demonstrates basic ability to operate with a high degree of honesty and openness, such that respect and trust is earned by coworkers and customers.
14. Must be able to function effectively in a team environment to accomplish team goals.
15. Preferred - CCNA, MCSE, CISSP and/or certifications
16. Preferred - Experience developing disaster recovery and business continuation plans.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
1. Preferred - 4 year degree in Computer Science or Information Systems/Technology or equivalent job experience (7+ years of data network design, planning and support experience).
2. Required - 1 to 3 years experience with Cisco routers and switches.
FCC Unit_TWC: 5675
Controlling Establishment ID: 00131 - San Antonio Blue Crest
Time Warner Cable - 17 months ago
Time Warner Cable (TWC) makes coaxial quiver. The company is the #2 US cable company, after Comcast, with operations in 28 states. Its core...