UALR Functional Title
Network and Systems Administrator / P98334
Reporting to the information technology manager, this position maintains, troubleshoots, and plans the network infrastructure, servers, and network software systems for all MidSOUTH locations. Responsibilities include server/network administration, backups, troubleshooting, upgrading, documentation, and future planning as well as maintenance of numerous network software applications. All MidSOUTH positions are funded through grants or contracts and are renewed on an annual basis, contingent on funding.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Responsible for maintaining LAN , WAN , wireless, and telecommunication systems to provide maximum utilization of resources.
- Responsible for the administration and maintenance of Linux and Windows servers.
- Responsible for evaluating current and future network needs and recommending solutions.
- Serve as primary contact with UALR campus network staff related to the MidSOUTH network.
- Responsible for working with UALR computing services to develop, maintain, and administer the MidSOUTH network, including LANs, WAN , wireless, and telecommunication.
- Responsible for labeling and documenting data communication lines, hardware configurations, and software configurations.
- Responsible for the setup, maintenance, and troubleshooting of system wide applications, including Moodle, Apache, Microsoft
- ’s Hyper V manager and KACE systems.
Responsible for the creation, maintenance, and troubleshooting of user and other accounts for MidSOUTH’s active directory, Google email, and calendar system, and MidSOUTH’s telecommunication system, as well as collaborating with UALR computing services in regards to MidSOUTH accounts in the UALR domain.
- In collaboration with the MidSOUTH Help Desk, maintain, update, and troubleshoot virus protection software across MidSOUTH’s statewide network, as well as virus protection for all MidSOUTH servers.
- Coordinate, schedule, and maintain backup systems for all designated MidSOUTH computers and servers, including archiving and storage of all backups.
- Responsible for writing technical and client support documents.
- Assist in Web and Database Administration and Development
- Assist the MidSOUTH Web and Database Specialists in Oracle, MYSQL , and spiceworks help desk administration and development.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of other database solutions for MidSOUTH.
- Assist in the design and organization of interactive Web sites.
Training and Development
- Take courses and read materials to improve job-related skills.
- Participate in meetings and conferences of professional organizations.
- Improve knowledge and use of current information technology concepts and practices.
- Develop and conduct presentations and workshops for MidSOUTH staff, as time allows.
Organizational activities and projects
- Maintain project tracking and billing that relate to work duties.
- Read and discuss pertinent materials to maintain awareness of MidSOUTH operating procedures and environment.
- Support standards and procedures, which contribute to the effectiveness of MidSOUTH.
- Participate in staff meetings.
- Carry out special assignments to respond to the needs of MidSOUTH.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of and experience working with Windows OS, Cisco Networking Devices, Database Applications, Active Directory, Backup Solutions, GPO and DFS solutions.
- Ability to travel (in and out of state) which may include over night stays.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, which may include nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Ability to work with a diverse population consisting of university personnel, CDFS and other public agencies, community professionals, and the general public.
- Experience with integrated phone systems.
- Experience with KACE software system.
- Must be a self-starter with the ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to provide Outstanding customer service skills.
- Experience with Web and database management.
- Possess highly developed problem-solving skills.
- Possess excellent writing, verbal, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
Required Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, or related field; plus five years of experience in each of the following areas: evaluating, planning, and coordinating a network system; acquisitions, installations, and maintenance of networking equipment; Microsoft Windows networking/servers and Linux; Cisco networking equipment; active directory, Google email, and Linux administration.
Preferred Education and/or Experience
Background Check Requirements
00 - Criminal Only
Medium Work - Exerting 20-50 pounds: Frequently, Kneeling: Frequently, Crawling: Frequently, Climbing (Stairs, Ladders, etc.): Daily, Lifting 25-50 lbs: Frequently, Carrying 25-50 lbs: Frequently, Pushing/pulling 25-50 lbs: Frequently, Sitting for long periods of time: Daily, Standing for long periods of time: Frequently, Speaking; Essential, Hearing: Essential, Vision: Ability to distinguish similar colors, depth perception, close vision: Essential, Walking - Moderate Distances; Daily
Spends approximately 75% or more time indoors, Hazards - definite risk of bodily injury, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, electrical current, etc., Conditions that affect the respiratory system or the skin, such as fumes, odors, dusts, mists, gases or poor ventilation
Posting Detail Information
Background Check Statement
This position is subject to a pre-employment criminal background check. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background checks will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
UALR EEO Statement
The University of Arkansas at Little Rock is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and actively seeks the candidacy of minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities. Under Arkansas law, all applications are subject to disclosure. Persons hired must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States.
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants