The New York Times' core mission is to enhance society through its world-class journalism. Our technologists are charged with building amazing experiences to distribute and enhance that journalism.
People who work at the times all share the desire to make an impact. Our creative Developers, Designers and Journalists ship software that affects the lives of millions around the globe. And they are serious about being open and engaging with development communities. As a new graduate, you will have the opportunity to work on The Times Developer Network, The Open Blog and participate in The TimesOpen event series. You are also encouraged to contribute to The Times’ open source initiatives.
Roles & Groups:
Candidates will be considered for engineering opportunities across a variety of teams including:
- Web - Our Web Platform Team presents opportunities to work with vast amounts of content and a huge audience for candidates that are passionate about search, recommendation algorithms, social interactions, video, APIs or big data.
- Mobile - We have made a significant commitment to native application development for our mobile applications. Be a part of the same team that was on stage at the Apple iPad product announcement keynote, blazing a trail within the mobile media ecosystem.
- Interactive News - This development team works in the newsroom on data journalism projects like the elections and social platforms that engage readers. Alongside the graphics desk, team members maintain Backbone.js, CoffeeScript and D3.js, in addition to developing Ruby on Rails applications on a full-stack AWS environment.
- Operations - If infrastructure is your game, we have a very large ec2 footprint and operate a globally load balanced private cloud to ensure that the paper of record is always available, and fast.
- R&D - If you are a futurist, you may be a fit for our Research & Development Team to help build prototypes that demonstrate where digital journalism might go in the years to come.
If you are a student currently pursuing a Bachelor's, Master's or PhD, with a passion for programming, an interest in media and/or you simply want to make an impact on society, then we want you to consider launching your career with us.
Be a well-rounded technologist who is graduating between Dec 2012 and June 2013 and have familiarity with several front-end or back-end languages and frameworks and have project work outside of the classroom which demonstrates your ability to take an idea from concept to completion.
As part of our team, you will enjoy a vibrant culture that prom champions innovation, nestled within an established and well respected institution. Inside our modern midtown Manhattan headquarters, you will find floor-to-ceiling windows, walls of whiteboards, free monthly chair massages, a sushi chef and a staff with a sense of humor and a passion for beautiful software.
The New York Times Company, a leading global, multimedia news and information company with 2011 revenues of $2.3 billion, includes The New York Times, the International Herald Tribune, The Boston Globe, NYTimes.com, BostonGlobe.com, Boston.com, and related properties. The Company’s core purpose is to enhance society by creating, collecting and distributing high-quality news, information and entertainment.
The New York Times Company is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin, citizenship or any other protected characteristic. The New York Times Company is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.
The New York Times Company
- 2 years ago - save job