Kaiser Permanente, Clackamas, OR or Oakland, CA
Underwriting's overarching function is to anticipate key business, marketplace and competitor dynamics in developing and implementing strategies to optimize business results which include retention and growth targets while mitigating risk. Primary focus is on establishing the appropriate rate and conditions of offering to achieve revenue, membership and margin goals. Additionally, processes and policies are managed to support optimal customer service while collaborating with National and Regional Sales/Account Management and Underwriting partners to optimize business opportunities and effective solutions. The National Account underwriting position offers a unique opportunity to achieve a big picture view of Kaiser Permanente on an enterprise-wide level. Underwriters will have the opportunity to learn about each of the eight regional structures, people and competitive landscapes. Having this advanced knowledge base adds value to overall collaboration and business solutions as well as process innovations for the future on behalf of our National customers and Kaiser Permanente as a whole.
• Manage business processes and policies that support for all job levels particularly in areas of rate actions, benefit structure, customer engagements, etc.
• Meets established department turn around goals by balancing deadlines.
• Implement new and existing policies, procedures, and methodology as well as continuous quality improvement.
• Strategize with internal customers on implications of decisions on business outcomes.
• Position Underwriting is an integral partner in the creation of effective business solutions.
• Establish and leverage relationships with Sales, Account Management as well as Underwriters enterprise-wide to enhance business potential with purchasers, brokers & consultants.
• Develop solutions that increase credibility with both internal and external customers.
• Acquire and exhibit knowledge of various external business environments across the enterprise.
• Makes decisions on how the rates align to overall strategy and makes recommendations to internal stakeholders to provide a better benefit to the customers.
• Uses systematic approaches to break down problems into tasks and to trace the implications of a situation in a step-by-step way.
• Develops solutions to a variety of problems of moderate to complex scope and complexity using judgment within policy and practice guidelines.
• Assesses information to identify the best solution from existing alternatives.
• Participates with peers, team, internal partners, supervisor or manager in problem solving.
• Participates in QA processes to insure the highest level of accuracy and compliance.
• Participates in case reviews with internal partners when appropriate.
• May coach and act as a mentor to peers or less experienced or skilled staff.
Two (2) or more years in rating, underwriting, or a related field required.
Three (3) to five (5) years of underwriting experience preferred.
Bachelor's degree in mathematics, statistics, business administration, or a related field or applicable related work experience preferred.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Excellent problem-solving skills, particularly financial and statistical.
Ability to interpret client-specific data to analyze underlying causes of significant changes in demographics and utilization.
Ability to adjust conflicting priorities to meet or exceed established department turnaround goals.
Kaiser Permanente - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard
America’s leading not-for-profit health plan, Kaiser Permanente serves more than 9 million people from 37 hospitals and 611...