RN III- Shift Supervisor-Performs complex nursing work. Work involves providing for the assessment, care and treatment of patients. May supervise the work of others. Works under general supervision, with moderate latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment. Must demonstrate considerable knowledge of nursing rules/regulations, methods, procedures, techniques and human relations, Must deomonstrate a practical working knowledge of cultural, social and economic forces in family and group relationships. Must be able to appropriately interact with individuals with developmental disabilities and staff members. Must be able to keep records and make reports. Duties include subordinate nursing staff evaluation, tracking discipline. Must be able to calculate mathematical dosages of medications. Must be able to demonstrate a working knowledge of emergency procedures and emergency equipment, i.e., CPR. Must be able to recognize appropriate PMAB and restraining procedures. Duties include assessment and care of residents and/or staff members in emergency situations. Must be able to demonstrate knowledge of teaching skills, leadership methods, and interviewing principles and techniques. Must be able to present ideas clearly and concisely utilizing English in both written and oral communications. Duties include development and presentation of information in a montly meeting format and an Inservice training/teaching format.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Attends work on a regular and predictable schedule in accordance with agency leave policy and performs other duties as assigned.
2. Performs health assessments campus wide.
3. Responds to medical emergencies on campus.
4. Communicates health status/needs to other disciplines, families as needed.
5. Provides teaching and training to staff and individuals
6. Provides personnel management to suborniate [sic] nursing staff.
7. Facilitates personnel matters.
8. Delegates work assignments.
9. Evaluates employees performance
10. Complies with all State/Federal/Local standards.
11. Demonstrates thorough knowledge of the nursing process and nursing procedures.
12. Actively participates in meetings related to care of persons served in order to manage and coordinate health care to achieve optimal health.
13. Demonstrates knowledge of medications administered in order to identify desired effects or adverse reactions.
14. Demonstrates knowledge of safety and infection control practices to ensure a safe working environment.
Other duties as assigned include but are not limited to actively participating and/or serving in a supporting role to meet the agency’s obligations for disaster response and/or recovery or Continuity of Operations (COOP) activation. Such participation may require an alternate shift pattern assignment and/or location.
Knowledge Skills Abilities:
Experience in nursing work. Must demonstrate considerable knowledge of nursing techniques and procedures; of health care laws and regulations; of medical diagnoses and procedures; of accepted medical treatment patterns; of community health and nursing care principles, practices, and procedures; of program regulations and procedures. Ability to provide patient care; to prepare and maintain records; to explain public health law; to recognize patterns of medical necessity treatment; and to plan, assign, and/or supervise the work of others.
Must be able to appropriately interact with individuals with developmental disabilities and staff members. Knowledge of nursing care standards. Knowledge of infectious diseases and infection prevention and control principals and practices in the healthcare setting. Knowledge of standards and Infection Prevention Control standards related to infection control and utilization management. Ability to interpret regulations and communicate them effectively both orally and in writing. Knowledge of state and federal laws and MR-ICF rules, regulations, policy and procedures related to State School campuses. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Knowledge and application in computer/software. Ability to work independently and productively with all levels of staff. Ability to train all levels of staff. Ability to make decisions and recommendations to campus leaders. Must maintain current CPR certification. Must have strength and flexibility to safely perform Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR).Must be able to demonstrate a working knowledge of emergency procedures and emergency equipment.
Registration or Licensure Requirements:
1. Graduation from a college or university accredited by the Texas State Board of Nursing with a degree in nursing;
2. AND Licensed to practice as a registered nurse in the State of Texas (or a state that recognizes reciprocity through the Nurse Licensure Compact)
3. PLUS TWO (2) years of experience as a practicing registered nurse in a recognized health agency, hospital, or health-care facility.
Initial Selection Criteria:
Licensed by the Texas Board of Nursing as a Registered Nurse or a state that recognizes reciprocity through the Nurse Licensure Compact.
Experience in assessment and documentation of health status
Two (2) years nursing experience
Nursing supervisory experience preferred
Previous experience working with persons with developmental disabilities preferred.
Documentation of computer skills.
All applicants must pass: pre-employment drug screen, fingerprint criminal background check, and Client Abuse/Neglect Reporting System (CANRS), Employee Misconduct Registry and Nurse/Aide Registry checks. Males between the ages of 18 – 25 must be registered with the Selective Service.
All State Supported Living Center employees are subject to Random drug testing.
Flexibility in work hours may be required for this position. The position may be required to work overtime and/or extended hours.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), HHS agencies will provide reasonable accommodation during the hiring and selection process for qualified individuals with a disability. If you need assistance completing the on-line application, contact the HHS Employee Service Center at 1-888-894-4747. If you are contacted for an interview and need accommodation to participate in the interview process, please notify the person scheduling the interview.