RN License Required
Nurse Manager/Trauma Coordinator for Emergency Services
Exempt, non union
Reports to the Director of Critical Care and Emergency Services
The Patient Nurse Manager is the first line manager in the administration of Patient Services. A registered professional nurse who possesses the ability to make decisions about the nursing care of patients, as well as the management of nursing personnel on the unit. Responsible for establishing role resolution with various services and medical staff members. May provide care to patients of all ages including neonatal, pediatric, adolescent, adult, and geriatric. Responsible for the clinical care and the appropriateness of care. Supervises staff and assists with resolution of concerns that impact patient care. Collaborates with the Director of Critical Care and Emergency Services to assure Standards of Care are maintained and regulatory standards are met. Facilitates the inter- departmental transfer of patients. Oversees and coordinates the Trauma Center with regards to data collection, assessment, performance improvement, evaluation, and education to both
1. Bachelor of Science in Nursing or in progess of obtaining Bachelors. BCLS/ACLS/PALS certification. TNCC and CEN preferred At least 2 years experience in a clinical supervisory role or equivalent combination of education and experience.
2. Current license to practice nursing in the state of West Virginia.
3. Effective interpersonal communication skills.
4. Able to problem-solve situations
5. Knowledge of nursing and scientific facts and principles to enable the nurse to recall and apply relevant knowledge in executing and implementing nursing care for the trauma patient
6. Ability to establish and maintain effective interpersonal relationships. Able to verbally
communicate with patients, families, and physicians.
7. Knowledge for use of computer equipment
1. Demonstrates excellent customer service to both internal and external customers through positive communications, cooperation, professional behavior, and displaying by actions that customer satisfaction is the primary goal of this institution.
2. Adapts to constantly changing healthcare environment by recognizing opportunities for improvement and embracing change to bring about improvements. Exercises independent thinking, judgment, and decision-making and accepts accountability and responsibility for decisions and consequences.
3. Complies with all policies, procedures, and related protocols as established by the department and/or the organization.
4. Manages unit staff; evaluates performance and provides discipline as required. Creates environment that motivates staff and allows for staff input into problem solving.
5. Evaluates effectiveness of nursing care being given by the staff and uses the performance improvement process to make improvements or corrections.
6. Accountable for appropriate staffing of unit and proper time reporting and attendance.
7. Makes patient rounds to observe and assess patients’ conditions and needs. Collaborates and consults with the physician to maximize attainment of short and long range nursing and medical goals. Discusses with Chief of service and director any problem arising on the unit that requires his/her attention.
6. Reviews all incident reports and follows up with appropriate action. Communicates Patient Services goals to unit staff and translates them into action.
7. Acts as a liaison for communication between patient, physician, family, and staff.
8. Sets annual goals for her/his unit and evaluates goal achievement. Supports departmental and hospital goals and changes.
9. Assists in preparing annual unit budget and ensures compliance on unit operation for staff, capital, and operating budgets.
10. Coordinates placement of patients on the unit and the placement and transfer of patients to other units within the hospital or to other institutions.
11. Ensures staff, in coordination with the patients and their families, have developed and are implementing a plan of care for each patient.
12. Involved in recruitment and hiring process for their unit.
13. Writes, updates, and applies nursing policies/procedures, objectives, standards, and goals for the unit.
14. Administers collective bargaining agreements and participates in grievance procedure.
15. Keeps Director of Critical Care and Emergency Services, Vice President of Patient Services and House Supervisors informed of unit activities, personnel problems, and patient conditions, as appropriate.
16. Conducts staff development and orientation in coordination with the Staff Development Coordinator.
17. Participates in in-service programs and continuing education and professional society meetings pertinent to own area of practice. Maintains an up-to-date knowledge of current trends and new developments in her/his area of practice.
18. Provides leadership and works collaboratively with other members of the healthcare team to ensure optimal compliance with the National Patient Safety Goals and Core Measures.
19. Coordinates Trauma Peer Review and Quality meetings in accordance with the WV Trauma Program regulations.
20. Maintains Trauma registry in accordance with WV Trauma Program regulations
21. Oversees Trauma Program education and training in accordance with WV Trauma Program regulations.