Position summaryPromotes excellence in clinical nursing by providing direct patient care through consulting and in collaboration with the primary care physician and/or Medical Director. The Nurse Practitioner provides expertise in advanced clinical practice, education, consultant services and clinical research.|
Essential Job FunctionsPatient Care Management
- Evaluate patients and render care within the scope of practice outlined by the Indiana Nurse Practice Act.
- Performs patient assessment through history and physical examinations.
- Monitors patient response to current therapies and manages treatments accordingly.
- Appropriately triages patient care.
- Participates in the interdisciplinary care services team.
- Documents care provided.
- Works with Collaborative practice physician and/or Medical Director to ensure appropriate communication between the care services and referring physicians.
- Ensures the patient status reports are timely, accurate, and consistent.
- Available for inpatient and outpatient consults and possible patient referrals.
- Takes call as assigned.
- Meets productivity standards.
- Assists with departmental performance improvement activities.
- Assists with staff development programs.
- Participates in community education programs.
Knowledge, Skills Abilities
- Serves as a resource to nursing staff, nursing students and other health care personnel in the acquisition of knowledge and skills.
- Assists and provides direction to nursing staff with clinical decision making and priority setting.
- Develops and implements educational information, materials, and programs related to staff or patient needs.
- Provide patient education related to disease process and treatment plan.
- Assists with data review, assessment, and communication of progress related to quality initiatives.
Minimum Position Qualifications
- Effective and compassionate communication skills when dealing with patients, families, and health care workers.
- Strong skills in critical thinking and problem solving.
- Basic knowledge of pharmacology and regulations associated with prescribing controlled and non-controlled substances.
- Practices sound methods of clinical judgment and ethical decision making.
- Ability to act independently and collaboratively within the scope of NP practice to quickly ascertain and provide intervention to meet patient needs throughout the course of illness.
- Serves as a clinical resource for the nursing staff, physicians and other healthcare providers.
- Strong assessment and diagnostic skills required.
- Experience in clinical quality improvement processes preferred.
- Prefer 1-2 years clinical practice experience in internal medicine.
- Education: Advance Practice Nurse degree - MSN
- Experience: Previous clinical experience of one or more years in internal medicine or acute care is preferred.
- Licensure/Certification: Current Indiana license and current nationally recognized certification by the ANCC or AANP. DEA/CSR
- Other: CPR required
Franciscan St. Elizabeth Health - 14 months ago
When it comes to expertise in a large number of medical specialties, people in Lafayette know their hospitals are more than up to the task...