Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 844893 (please include on all documents)
The VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System (VAGLAHS) is seeking a Nurse Practitioner to work in our busy Pre-Op Clinic. Th Pre-OP NP will provide assessments on outpatients awaiting elective/urgent surgeries. The Pre-Op Clinic providers perform a thorough assessment with focus on risk stratifcation, optimization, education, and adjustment of patient medications as appropriate during the perioperative period. This position directly reports to the Associate Chief Nursing Services, Medical-Surgical.
Shift: Monday - Friday (7:30 am - 4:00 pm) KEY REQUIREMENTS
Full unrestricted Licensure, Certification, or Registration required.
Must pass pre-employment physical examination.
Designated and/or Random Drug Testing may be required.
Background and/or Security Investigation required.
English Language Proficiency required. DUTIES:
1. Provides primary care, direct care and procedures for patients according to policy and protocol.
2. Evaluates the veterans health, family and psychosocial history to identify health care needs and documents in medical record.
3. Evaluates all new patients and any who have a significant change in clinical status.
4. Performs physical examinations using techniques of inspection, preparation, precision and auscultation.
5. Orders and interprets diagnostic tests.
6. Maintains a caseload of veterans through case management: including assessment and referral.
7. Participates in daily management rounds.
8. Participates in weekly meetings, or more often if clinically warranted, with the interdisciplinary team to establish a medical plan of care and an estimated length of stay.
9. Participates in discharge planning, ensures timely discharge of patient and complete discharge summary.
10. Assures appropriate screening of referrals and timely movement of selected patients to the TCU.
11. Provides health education to veterans and community partners.
12. Assists with the design and implementation of delivery systems/ programs to facilitate the care of high risk veterans.
13. Collaborates with team members to provide clinical care and implement a treatment plan for inpatient and discharge care plans.
14. Prescribes medications in accordance with scope of practice.
15. Participates in staff/community education.
16. Participates in patient and staff education, medical and/or nursing research and quality improvement.
17. Accepts that there will be inter disciplinary cross coverage with staff NPs in GRC QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
A Master's Degree in Nursing (MSN)
Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
Current Furnishing License
Current DEA Certificate for controlled substances schedules II-V
National Certification as a Adult Nurse Practitioner
Minimum of three (3) years of clinical nursing practice; with pre-op evaluation experience preferred.
Previous NP experience required.
Basic Life Support (BLS) certification from the American Heart Association, American Heart Association or Military Training Network.
Basic interpretation of EKGs as well as labs/imaging results preferred.
Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia. In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
Demonstrated evidence of self-direction and strong organizational skills.
Demonstrated evidence of excellent interpersonal skills.
Demonstrated evidence of effectively educating patients and patietn families.
Computer Literacy proficiency with in-dept experience with the use of Microsoft Office programs or comparable word processing, spreadsheet and graphic software and the ability to learn new programs specific to the VA
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. Reference: VA Handbook 5005/27, Part II, Appendix G-6 NURSE QUALIFICATION STANDARD http://www1.va.gov/vapubs/viewPublication.asp?Pub_ID=464&FType=2
When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on their application or résumé. Applicants claiming preference based on service-connected disability, or based on being the spouse or mother of a disabled or deceased Veteran, must complete an SF 15, Application for Compensable Veteran Preference. Veterans who are still in the service may be granted preference on the basis of information contained in their applications, but they must produce a DD Form 214 or other proof prior to appointment to document entitlement to preference. For more information on Veterans' Preference, please visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/veterans.aspx . HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application, résumé and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment. BENEFITS:
Working for the Department of Veterans Affairs offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes, in part, paid vacation, sick leave, holidays, life insurance, health benefits, thrift savings plan, and participation in the Federal Employees Retirement System. In addition to traditional "dollars and cents" benefits, we offer a range of benefits to help balance work and life. For more information please visit us at http://www4.va.gov/JOBS/Job_Benefits/benefits.asp . OTHER INFORMATION:
This position will be filled on a full-time permanent basis and requires a two year probationary period. This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
usajobs.gov - 16 months ago
The United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is a government-run military veteran benefit system with Cabinet-level status. It is...