The San Mateo Medical Center is continuously seeking new ways to enhance the already impressive services we offer. This dedication to excellence is reflected in the exceptional care we provide, and the extraordinary professionals who provide it. Here, you will have the chance to develop your talents with a skilled team of people who actively support and encourage each other's success. If you’re ready to open new doors for your career, join us today.
In conjunction with the Health System's Behavioral Health and Recovery Services Division, the San Mateo Medical Center's Total Wellness Clinic team provides comprehensive and integrated healthcare services to clients within an outpatient mental health facility. This innovative clinic provides services to a population that has historically relied on two separate systems of healthcare for their mental and physical needs. In the Total Wellness Clinic, Nurse Practitioners work closely with primary care and psychiatric professionals to ensure each patient receives coordinated care.
Under the supervision of the Total Wellness Clinic's Supervising Physician, this full-time (1.0 FTE) Nurse Practitioner performs physical examinations and preventive health measures within prescribed protocols from the San Mateo Medical Center, as well as, orders, interprets, and evaluates diagnostic tests to identify and assess patient's clinical problems and healthcare needs. The Nurse Practitioner also records physical findings, and formulates a plan of action based on patient's condition, and, when necessary, discusses cases with physician and psychiatric care professionals to prepare a comprehensive patient care plan. The Nurse Practitioner may prescribe psychotropic medications in collaboration with psychiatric care professionals and under supervision of the medical director.
The ideal candidate has experience providing primary medical care to individuals with serious mentally health concerns, and is a highly independent and reliable practitioner. Experience working with mental health patients is preferred.
NOTE: The list created from this recruitment may be used to fill current and future full-time, part-time, permanent, extra help and/or temporary vacancies.
Examples Of Duties:
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assess the health of patients to determine their physical, emotional and social status by taking a complete medical history, doing a physical examination, initiating screening and diagnostic procedures etc.
- Evaluate results of clinical findings and laboratory tests.
- Report any abnormalities to a physician.
- Identify and manage in collaboration with a physician, common illnesses and/or other health problems and refer these problems or illnesses that require immediate medical attention to the appropriate practicing physician.
- Assume on-going responsibility for follow-ups.
- Collaborate with physicians and other health professionals regarding health problems and illnesses following established protocol relative to diagnosis and treatment of patients.
- Counsel parents or other family members regarding health maintenance in the area of specialization.
- Coordinate and facilitate referrals to other health or social agencies.
- Maintain accurate records of assessments, follow-ups and evaluations.
- Supervise the work of subordinate health workers and participate in professional and administrative meetings.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Possession of a California license as a Registered Nurse.
- Possession of a current California Nurse Practitioner certification in primary health care for patients of all ages.
- Principles, practices and procedures used in the detection, diagnosis and treatment of common health problems as related to the clinical specialty.
- Fundamentals of clinical medicine as related to clinical specialty.
- Drugs commonly used in the area of specialty including the indications of their use, anticipated therapeutic effect, side effects and untoward reactions and contraindications.
- Safety and infection control practices and procedures.
- Normal and abnormal values of laboratory tests and their clinical significance.
- Operations and care of medical equipment and instruments used in the area of specialty.
- Laws and regulations pertinent to the practice of nursing and medicine applicable to assigned specialty.
- Community resources and referral systems.
- Provisions of the Nurse Practice Act.
- Assess the health status of patients.
- Provide health care services including the taking of a complete medical history, doing complete physical examination and other related clinical procedures.
- Identify and manage health problems common in the area of specialty.
- Develop and implement treatment plans for patients according to policies and protocol.
- Analyze and interpret health information/data including results of laboratory testing.
- Communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, professional staff and others.
- Follow safety practices and procedures.
- Maintain accurate records and preparing reports.
Anyone may apply. A supplemental application form must be submitted in addition to our regular employment application form .
Depending on the number of applicants, an application appraisal of education and experience may be used in place of other examinations or a screening committee may select those applicants whose education and/or experience appear to best meet the needs of the position. As a result, not all applicants are guaranteed advancement through the selection process. Qualified applicants will be notified of the date, time and place of the interviews. All interviews will take place in San Mateo County, California and applicants must participate at their own expense.
IMPORTANT: Applications for this position will only be accepted online. If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the 'Apply' button above. If you are not on the County's website, please go to www.smcgov.org/hr/jobs to apply. Online applications must be received by the Human Resources Department before midnight on the final filing date.
This recruitment is open on a continuous basis and selections may be made at any time within the process.
San Mateo County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Analyst: Ericka Gosha (011813) (Nurse Practitioner - F009)