OR Tech - Surgery
The Operating Room Technician assists in nursing care and preparation of surgical patient by performance of routine and delegated duties, according to standards and policies of the center. Is responsible for assisting the surgeon, helping in the central sterile processing department, restocking and changing over rooms between procedures. Performs housekeeping duties as necessary and assists in maintenance of all supplies. This position will also have responsbilities in sterile processing.
Assists with and delivers safe, effective intra-operative nursing care until patient is transferred from the operating room suite.
1. Ensures patient comfort and safety measures are maintained.
2. Anticipates special needs, equipment and supplies for the patient relative to an accurate physical assessment of the patient by a nurse.
3. Assists in preparing the operative suite for surgery checking supplies, equipment, and instrumentation.
4. Assists in preparing the operative room between cases, as necessary.
5. Assists in assuring the availability of adequate supplies and instruments for posted cases and assists in opening room in a sterile environment.
6. Utilizes surgeon preference cards to check with each case and updates as needed.
7. Assists the surgeon during a surgical procedure with a high degree of efficiency, anticipating physician and patient needs during the case.
Interacts with patients, fellow employees, physicians, and other customers in a manner which encourages quality patient care, harmonious working relationships, positive customer relations, and which enhances the image and reputation of the center.
1. Assist in orienting new staff members to the OR suites and central processing decontam and sterile areas.
2. Shares knowledge with co-workers through open communication.
3. Follows chain of command regarding intra or interdepartmental issues.
4. Evaluates suggestions objectively, accepts constructive criticism, and seeks guidance when needed.
Supports the center's mission by dependability in attendance, punctuality, the timely completion of care and other assignments, resource and information management, and attention to principles of quality service.
Maintains and improves skills and knowledge appropriate for position, personal growth, and for enhancement of patient care.
Assists in daily maintenance of the department, in completing monthly work assignment sheet, restocking, pull cases for the next day, and maintaining equipment in good working order. Utilizes non-chargeable items in a cost-effective manner.
Understands and effectively implements "Best Practices, Risk Management, and Quality Improvement Programs.
Supports and adheres to HCA Code of Conduct, related Ethics and Compliance policies and HIPAA requirements.
1 - 3 years experience required.
Eye experience required
Excellent communication skills
Operating Room experience preferred
Must be able to:
Stand for up to 8 hour (s) per day
Sit up to 8 hour (s) per day
Walk for up to 2 hours per day
Perform repetitive tasks / motions
Hear alarms / telephone / tape recorder /
normal speaking voice
Have good manual dexterity
Have good eye - hand - foot coordination
Have corrected clarity of vision
HCA Inc - 20 months ago
Gramercy Outpatient Surgery Center specializes in same-day surgical procedures that allow patients to recover at home instead of overnight...