PROGRAM: SRO Law Project
PROGRAM DESCRIPTION: Goddard Riverside Communty Center's SRO Law Project was founded in 1981 to preserve single room occupancy (SRO) housing. The Law Project staff consists of attorneys and tenant organizers who assist low-income individuals and groups of tenants living on the west side of Manhattan to preserve affordable housing. The Law Project also conducts know-your-rights trainings to educate tenants about their housing rights, and works in coalition with other community groups on city-wide campaigns.
CATEGORY: Part-time hourly
SUPERVISOR: Program Director
DAYS/HOURS: Mon-Fri / 24 hours per week: Mon, Tues, Fri 1pm-5pm; Wed 10am-6pm; Thurs 1pm-6pm
ESSENTIAL DUTIES: The Office Assistant/Messenger is responsible for the pickup and delivery needs of the office, including delivering monies/letters to clients and opposing counsel's law firms, filing documents in court, postal and agency errands, and such other office tasks as needed including but not limited to photocopying, collating, filing, answering phones, re-shelving books, stocking supplies, and assisting the Office Administrator/Legal Secretary in maintaining the office and facilitating intake sessions.
- Any combination of education, training and experience, which demonstrates the ability to perform the essential duties as described
- Experience in an office setting, preferably a law office
- Effective and professional communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Professional manner
- Basic computer literacy, including use of databases
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Fluent in Spanish a strong preference
- Frequent walking, standing, and traveling within the 5 boroughs of NYC related to the pickup and delivery needs of the program
- Occasional lifting of up to 30 lbs.
- Law office
- Frequent errands performed outside of the office, including but not limited to court, city and state agencies, law offices and the post office
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer. Reasonable accomodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Excellent benefits package
SocialService.com - 20 months ago