The Office Coordinator will be responsible for the coordination of the front office functions at the Mountain Regional Cancer Center. The Coordinator will be cross trained as a Medical Office Assistant and also will assume the duties associated with patient care. This individual will be competent in both “front” and “back” office functions.
The Office Coordinator will assist the Office Assistant with front office coverage. He/she will be responsible for training all front office personnel in the proper processes for meeting customer service expectations. Answer telephone in a prompt and courteous manner, route calls, and take detailed messages. Schedule appointments in compliance with practice’s policies and procedures. Perform patient intake and check out in compliance with practice’s policies and procedures, obtaining pre-certifications and insurance benefits as needed for various insurance companies. Special knowledge of medical terminology. Performs administrative duties and participates in education programs assigned.
When functioning in the Medical Office Assistant role, this individual will assist physician in the treatment of patients. The clinical duties include: taking vitals; phlebotomy; obtaining medical history from patients and scheduling various appointments including physician referral, etc; calling in prescriptions; obtaining pre-certifications and prior authorizations as needed for various insurance companies.
The following qualifications are the minimum requirements necessary to adequately perform this job. However, any equivalent combination of experience, education and training which provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities would be acceptable, subject to any legal and/or regulatory requirements.
A. Education: High school diploma or equivalent. Certified Nursing Assistants or Certified Medical Assistants will be considered for this position. Will consider individuals with an equivalent combination of education and experience if not certified.
B. Work experience: Prefer two years experience working as a medical assistant in a physician’s office. Two years previous general office / insurance billing experience strongly desired.
C. Knowledge, skills and abilities required: Must have the ability to work independently, have strong oral skills, good basic math skills, medical skills, and be computer literate. Special knowledge of medical terminology is required. Must possess good telephone and written communication skills.
D. BLS within 3 months and maintain thereafter.
E. Must possess valid driver’s license with motor vehicle record acceptable to the health system’s auto liability carrier as driving on business is required.
1. Ability to lift and move at least 30 pounds.
2. Ability to see colors, see at least 1 mm squares.
3. Ability to hear as required to take vital signs.
4. Ability to reach overhead.
5. Ability to remain calm, continue to function effectively and develop priorities during stressful situations.
6. Ability to communicate effectively using written and verbal media.
7. Ability to move and operate equipment and carry supplies.
8. Ability to sit, stand or walk for extended periods of time.
9. Ability to do repetitive work, keyboarding and writing
1. Potential exposure to patients who may be physically or verbally abusive.
2. Potential exposure to communicable diseases and hazardous materials.
3. This position may require the use of personal protective equipment during several patient and equipment related activities.
4. Occasionally exposed to noise and unpleasant odors.
5. May be required to work long hours.
The Office Coordinator works primarily in the Department of Radiation Therapy at Mountain Regional Cancer Centers. Hours are normal operating hours of the Center (8:00am to 4:30pm, Monday through Friday) with exceptions. The office coordinator is required to travel to the hospital, lab and physician offices to collect mail and medical records.
WestCare Health System - 21 months ago
copy to clipboard