Human Rights First is a non-profit, nonpartisan international human rights organization based in New York and Washington DC. We build respect for human rights and the rule of law to help ensure the dignity to which everyone is entitled and to stem intolerance, tyranny, and violence.
Human Rights First is committed to recruiting, retaining, developing, and promoting staff across all programs and departments from a diversity of backgrounds, including members of racial and ethnic minorities, LGBTI people, people with disabilities, people of all socioeconomic backgrounds, people of all nationalities, and veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. We believe that a diverse staff and an inclusive work environment that welcomes a range of perspectives help make our advocacy work stronger and more effective.
The Office Manager / Receptionist in the Washington, D.C. office works with the Chief of Staff to manage the day-to-day operations of the Washington office. The Office Manager also works directly as a liaison with staff in the New York office, particularly with Office Services and facilities, Human Resources, Finance and Administration, Information Services on matters affecting staff and operations in the Washington office or the organization as a whole. The Office Manager / Receptionist will perform all essential duties and responsibilities with consideration for effective and efficient organizational functioning and sound fiscal management.
oDisburse and reconcile WDC petty cash;
- Reception: Provide reception coverage for the Washington office: answering phones, greeting office visitors, replying to inquiries for information and assistance. Proficiency in Spanish is required and French is a plus, as the Office Manager/Receptionist may screen asylum and immigration calls and will assist clients arriving for intake interviews and follow-up appointments;
- Office Services: manage / coordinate the maintenance of office common area(s) to create a clean, inviting, and safe environment for both staff and guests;
- Facilities: ensure general office neatness, communicate with building staff and management, as necessary, to ensure a safe and effective office (i.e., mechanical systems, security, etc.);
- Safety & Security: manage office safety and security program coordinating with both the building and New York on communications,
- On-boarding staff: Coordinate new staff, fellow and intern work space set-up and orientation;
- Coordinate use of physical office space: help to schedule conference rooms, organize meetings, and identify space for in-coming interns, staff, or visiting staff and guests;
- Supplies and Equipment: maintain inventory of office supplies and printed materials, communicate with vendors regarding office equipment acquisition and maintenance;
o Provide logistical support for visitors; o Open and distribute incoming mail, process outgoing mail;
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS : College (undergraduate) degree or equivalent experience.
- Liaison: Serve as the liaison between the Washington office and the New York office on matters affecting staff and operations in DC or the organization as a whole;
- Internship Program Coordination: The Office Manager / Receptionist will manage the undergraduate general program interns, including hiring and daily supervision and coordination of work. This includes providing logistical support for onboarding and orientation of all other department interns in the Washington office. Maintain intern schedules and files, conduct outreach to schools; and
- Information Services (IS): back-stop basic IS support for DC users in case DC Technical Support Associate is not immediately available.
ANNUAL SALARY : Competitive with comprehensive benefits package
START DATE : Immediately
SUBMISSION DEADLINE : May 1, 2013. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
APPLICATION PROCESS :
Please complete the online application found at our website www.humanrightsfirst.org under ABOUT US / JOB OPPORTUNITIES links.
You will be requested to provide:
* After completing the initial application and uploading your resume, please select VIEW PROFILE and UPLOAD ATTACHMENT to upload additional documents. You can also log into your profile from the top of the Job Opportunities page. When logged into your profile, you can upload cover letter, writing sample, and any other relevant documents by selecting UPLOAD ATTACHMENT at the top of the page.
- Resume (upload)
- Cover letter (secondary upload*)
- Names and contact details for three (3) references (enter online)
Applicants will receive a confirmation email with their username and password once theyve created a profile. Please keep this information to access your application and make changes at any time.
Only selected applicants will be contacted for phone or in-person interviews. NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE.