The City of Bloomington is seeking an individual to perform advanced level office support duties and facilitate excellent customer service for the Environmental Health Division with a minimum of supervision.
Examples of Duties:
- Assists the Environmental Health Manager with the day-to-day operations by overseeing the workflow within the Environmental Health Division; prioritize work; recommend office policies and procedures; assist in ensuring departmental and division policies and procedures conform to City policies, ordinances and other applicable laws and regulations.
- Responds to requests or complaints from residents, staff and other departments; resolves, records or refers inquiries from residents, contractors, outside agencies, and others concerning division programs and services; ensures positive communications between the City, other departments, and residents.
- Receives and screens the Environmental Health telephone calls and emails and answers questions or makes referrals where appropriate and communicates effectively ensuring dissemination of complete and accurate information.
- Maintains the Environmental Health files and manages the data retention according to the City’s policy and state agencies’ policies.
- Maintains Environmental Health staff inspection and office supplies and equipment.
- Makes reservations for training activities for the division’s staff.
- Drafts, creates, proofreads, maintains and edits documents and forms.
- Uses office equipment and software applications with a high degree of proficiency and may troubleshoot basic hardware and software problems.
- Assists with billing, purchasing, invoicing and assessment of unpaid abatements.
- Assists with preparation of the budget.
- Maintains records of Administrative Penalty Orders, sends reminder notices and processes assessments.
- Assists with maintaining the Environmental Health web (internet) pages and Sharepoint (intranet) pages.
- Prepares documents, mailing address lists and labels for periodic mass mailings.
- Attends meetings, records and transcribes minutes, and provides administrative support preparing materials for meetings, hearings and classes (i.e. food safety classes, administrative hearings, food collaborative, etc.).
- Works independently and resolves routine issues in absence of supervisor.
- Prepares and processes specialized documents in area of assignment.
- Provides accurate, complete information and instructions to the public regarding ordinances, policies and procedures.
- Coordinates special projects as assigned.
- Schedules Environmental Health Division inspections for City-issued permits or licenses where appropriate.
- Cashier permits, licenses, fines and other fee-related documents and balance the drawer.
- Issues and accepts a wide variety of forms and documents and reviews for accuracy and completeness.
- Issues permits and contacts applicant when building-related permits are approved for issuance when assisting at the front Community Development counter.
- Performs other duties as apparent or assigned.
- High School graduate or equivalent
- Three years of responsible office support experience in a customer service setting
- Excellent Microsoft Office Suite skills and ability to readily learn various software applications
- Excellent grammar and proofreading skills and ability to write correspondence
- Possess excellent clerical aptitude, organizational skills and critical thinking skills
- Possess proven track record of dependability
- Ability to operate a keyboard with speed and accuracy
- Ability to adapt to change while working in a high-paced, high-customer volume area.
- Ability to work on a call center telephone system
- Ability to communicate effectively: in writing, over the telephone and in person
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with the public, licensees and City staff
- Ability to multitask while maintaining a professional and positive attitude
- Ability to work cooperatively as a team member
- Ability to work under minimal supervision, effectively under pressure, and meet deadlines
- Ability to read, understand and explain the City’s code requirements
- Two or more years of post-high school education
- Five years of responsible office support experience
- Experience with Geographic Information Software (GIS)
- Experience with Laserfiche
- Experience with SharePoint
- Experience with Adobe Acrobat editing
- Experience with social media
- Experience with PowerPoint
- Additional coursework such as Microsoft Office Suite; writing and grammar; conflict management
- Experience working for a federal, state, county or city government
- Experience working in an office setting related to food safety inspections, plan review, rental housing inspections, nuisance control or related fields
- Experience working with Envision by Decade inspection software, Permits Plus software or comparable software
- Experience working with HTE or comparable financial software
- Experience working with federal, state or municipal codes
- Knowledge of the City’s and the Environmental Health Division operating policies and procedures
City of Bloomington, MN - 30+ days ago