Online Math Teacher Coach (Part-Time)
Tutor.com is looking for approximately 5 online math professional development coaches for middle to high school level math teachers. Coaches will work one to one with teachers online to support them with content, pedagogy, resources, and classroom management issues. Coaches will work approximately 10 hours per week Sunday through Thursday.
2012-2013 Position Requirements
- Provide online, on demand, support to teachers requesting advice and assistance with middle and high school math content, lesson planning, pedagogy, resource access, classroom management, student assessment, and standards interpretation and implementation issues.
- Serve as instructional specialists, curriculum specialists, resource providers, and classroom supporters with the goal of improving teacher effectiveness and student learning in the teacher’s classroom.
- Analyze teacher questions, diagnose underlying issues, assist teachers in clarifying goals, and work with teachers to develop plans, strengthen content understanding, and learn and apply instructional strategies that are aligned with the teacher’s particular math curriculum or program expectations and that will enable them to meet their student-achievement goals.
- Review content, pedagogical and classroom management resources to identify those that meet the identified needs of the teacher and assist the teacher to adapt the resources for implementation within his/her classroom to meet student-achievement goals.
- Work with teachers to support their participation in Professional Learning Communities focused on improving mathematics instruction and student achievement in math.
- Create goals with the teacher for the most effective use of our on demand professional development service and for integrating this service into their other PD activities.
- Assist teachers in understanding and implementing middle and high school math standards included in the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics
- Clearly and concisely summarize session activities and complete documentation required as a follow-up after each session
Coaches will be paid at the rate of $25/hr. Head sets will be provided.
- Certified to teach mathematics grades 7 - 12
- Minimum of 5 years teaching mathematics courses (Algebra, Algebra 2, Geometry, Trigonometry, Pre-Calculus and/or Calculus)
- Minimum of 2 years of experience as a math teacher coach( i.e. providing Professional Development, department chair, mentoring teachers)
- Experience teaching, collaborating, participating in professional development, and/or coaching online.
- Experience and deep knowledge of the Common Core State Standards for Math, along with a variety of the most commonly used curricula and technology/software programs used in the math classrooms.
- Familiarity and experience with multiple strategies for teaching Algebra, Algebra 2, Geometry, Trigonometry, Pre-Calculus and/or Calculus to all levels of students.
- Excellent communication and interviewing skills.
- Ability to establish both trust and a productive working relationship with the teacher-client.
- Experience with professional collaboration in schools for the benefit of increasing student achievement.
- High level of comfort using technology including a wide variety of online tools for instructional purposes and graphing calculators.
- Familiar with how formative assessments are used to drive instructional decisions in order to increase student achievement.
- Excellent skills in interviewing, analyzing information quickly, diagnosing teaching and student learning needs, accessing resources, and presenting information in a supportive and encouraging manner.
- Highly organized and efficient.
- Available a minimum of 10 hours per week. Preference given to those that have availability between the hours of 8 am to 7 pm ET.
- Access to reliable Windows-based PC with broadband Internet access
- Lifelong learner --- always learning
- Bachelor’s degree
- Must be US resident and able to work in the US.
- Comfortable with providing professional development in an on demand environment. Must be creative and able to quickly problem solve.
- Familiar with the current trends in secondary math education.
Go to www.tutor.com/coaches .
Tutor.com is the world’s largest and highest-rated online learning service. Providing live, on-demand, one-to-one learning solutions...