Performs plant operation, skilled maintenance, repair, adjustments and fabrication/installation work to heating, cooling, ventilation, medical gas systems, energy management systems and related equipment. Maintains a clean, safe, well-maintained boiler room, Air Handling Units, building equipment and chilled and condenser water plant systems. Provides general maintenance services across the hospital. Performs general facilities-related duties and supplements and assists other Facility Operations staff as needed. Communicates work-order and project status to relevant hospital staff and exemplifies excellent customer service.
Reports to: Manager of Plant
S upervises: None
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
JOB REQUIREMENTS & CHARACTERISTICS
- Starts, stops, adjusts, and regulates mechanical, electrical, medical gas equipment such as engines, compressors, generators, pumps, vacuum pumps, and steam boilers during the respective shift.
- Checks water levels in boilers and domestic hot and cold water tanks; observes meters, recorders, and pressure gauges; manipulates valves; and performs other required adjustments if necessary to maintain boilers within specified requirements.
- Lubricates, cleans, and otherwise maintains boilers and boiler room equipment on a daily basis.
- Tests boiler water and applies chemicals to prevent scale accumulation, as needed.
- Maintains and repairs heating/ventilation/air conditioning systems to ensure the comfort and safety of patients, visitors and employees.
- Performs repairs and annual maintenance on boilers, HVAC equipment, repairs or replace electric motors, relays, controls, lamps, light fixtures and associated parts as needed.
- Performs required facilities maintenance mechanics work to ensure a safe and cost effective environment. Installs doors, minor renovations/repairs, repairs walls, install drywalls, hang pictures, curtain tracks, painting, change light bulbs, repair/install light fixtures, install ceilings and other related minor installation or constructions.
- Periodically inspects and checks all mechanical rooms, sanitation and water systems, fire protection systems, and utility systems during shift.
- Performs preventive maintenance and provides general repair service to equipment in patient rooms such as TVs, call lights, oxygen and vacuum outlets and other equipment in other areas of the hospital.
- Inspects and tests utilities and utility back-up systems for proper operation and maintains adequate records.
- Participates and conducts fire drills and other required tests on utility and life safety systems, maintains adequate records per The Joint Commission and other regulatory agencies.
- Advise and coordinates on scheduling of utilities shut downs and take appropriate actions to notify other departments and management.
- Assists with removal of snow and ice and other grounds maintenance activities.
- Assists with surveys, plans, demolition, and construction with help of building drawings, blue prints and other sources of information.
- Performs biomedical equipment safety checks in the absence of Biomedical Technician as needed.
- Assists and supplements other Facility Operations personnel as needed, e.g., security, EVS.
- Communicates status of projects and assigned work orders to relevant hospital staff.
- Attends internal meetings and in-services and participates in mandatory reviews of policies and procedures.
- Completes required paperwork and/or generates computer files for quality assurance, plant work-orders, and intra-departmental communication.
- Completes special facilities-related projects and other duties as assigned to maintain facility in a clean, safe, and high-quality manner.
- Exemplifies the RML REACH (Service Excellence) culture by demonstrating respect, excellence, appreciation, concern and honor in all interactions with patients, families and co-workers, and as identified in departmental and hospital wide behavioral expectations.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Skills & Abilities
Ability to lift and carry 80 pounds
Ability to differentiate colors for testing of boilers and domestic water
Ability to climb ladders and work in tight places
Ability to hear unusual noises coming from boilers and equipment rooms
Ability to operate heavy machinery
Good general maintenance skills
Basic computer skills
Good communication skills
Good customer service skills
Demonstrated building trade skills (e.g., plumbing, HVAC, boiler operation, medical gas etc )
Knowledge & Experience
High school graduate or equivalent
Two to three years experience in Plant Operations in a health care environment
Formal training through union or trade schools – well-documented job training will be considered
Current City of Chicago Operating Engineers license
Valid Illinois Drivers License
Certification in building trades (e.g., plumbing, HVAC)
Frequent exposure to machinery and moving parts, high noise levels, hazardous chemicals, temperature extremes
Rare contact with hazardous, infectious, or biological materials
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not exhaustive lists of all duties, responsibilities, knowledge, skills, abilities, and working conditions associated with it.
RML Specialty Hospital - 30+ days ago