This position is responsible for the operation, maintenance and repair of all machinery and equipment required to supply the
Medical Center complex with electrical power, heating, air conditioning, ventilation, medical/laboratory air,
medical/laboratory vacuum, steam and water.
The incumbent in this position should have the ability to read and interpret blueprints, mechanical and electrical details of
assembly, and operation of air conditioning, refrigeration, boilers, large industrial reciprocating engines, hydraulics, electrical
background in controls, pneumatic controls, water chemical treatment, absorption refrigeration systems. Special skills include
knowledge of local, state and federal codes.
1. High School Graduate.
2. Successful completion of one of the following:
A. A recognized trade union apprentice program such as:
a. Operating Engineer (IUOE-399)
b. Pipefitter (LU-597 - controls)
c. Sheet Metal Worker (Local 73);
d. Equivalent trade union local bargaining unit; or
B. A recognized training program such as:
a. Power plant operator (e.g., U.S. Navy, USCG), or
C. A technical training school or educational program (e.g., Certificate or AA in Stationary Engineering or HVAC/R).
4. Must have and maintain a current City of Chicago Stationary Engineers License. A Stationary Engineers License from an equivalent jurisdiction is acceptable until a City of Chicago license can be obtained.
5. Must have a minimum 3 to 5 years experience in power plant, facility operations, building maintenance or building
6. Must have and maintain an EPA Refrigerant License
7. Ability to read and comprehend written instructions and communicate with others by writing.
8. Knowledge of use and maintenance of power and hand equipment used on the job.
9. Must be able to work from ladders and scaffolds.
10. Must be physically capable of performing the work expected in an efficient manner.
11. Must have knowledge of safety rules, practices and equipment.
12. Must have the ability to communicate effectively and work with other people.
13. Must be capable of strenuous physical activity.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
University of Chicago Medicine - 19 months ago