Business Unit Description
Policy and Strategy
We’re millions of members strong–with more joining us every day– the largest and “most powerful grassroots organization” around, according to Fortune magazine. In fact, our commitment and collective strength enables us to serve and support a broad and diverse membership as well as embrace our own workplace diversity. Here’s your chance to take action in Washington, DC and throughout the US!
Policy and Strategy serves AARP by leading the development of AARP’s state and national legislative policy, by leading our advocacy efforts in global aging policy, and by leading AARP's efforts to create and maintain relationships with leading academic institutions.
Contributes to the achievement of Future of Nursing: Campaign for Action team’s strategic priorities by managing the Future of Nursing: State Implementation Program (SIP) including grant management and monitoring grantees, managing campaign field operations, providing professional technical assistance and informing technical assistance strategy, grasstops engagement, and outreach in states and regions. Informs the development of the field operations tracking and strategy, analyzes all technical assistance activities and products, grasstops engagement, and outreach activities, and makes recommendations on decisions that directly affect the Team’s production and performance. Develops relationships with external audiences, provides insightful recommendations to increase production, efficiency and effectiveness. Works closely with the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation staff on the SIP grant. Provides high degree of project management skill to achieve results.
- Serves as Deputy Director for the National Program Office for the Future of Nursing: State Implementation Program (SIP), a Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) grant program.
- Manages SIP program including oversight of Program Coordinator and consultants and working with RWJF staff.
- Manages Campaign for Action field operations work, including tracking and reporting processes for state action coalitions with oversight from Field Operations Director.
- Serves as the principal coordinator and synthesizer of Campaign for Action information in terms of technical assistance provisions and design.
- Provides substantial technical assistance to state and regional based coalitions and to other groups and individuals to achieve Future of Nursing Campaign for Action outcomes.
- Identifies and monitors work of relevant team members, including consultants, who will provide technical assistance to the state and regional based coalition teams.
- Frequently interacts with state and regional based coalition members and stakeholders to establish solid working relationship and information sharing.
- Develops and implements solutions to problems/challenges in a fast-paced environment.
- Provides project management for aspects of the Campaign implementation, as assigned including but not limited management of Field Operations work plan tracking.
- Processes data tracked by Field Operations Analyst to identify needs for the state and regional based coalition teams and provides strategic fast turn around reports.
- Monitors needs, gaps, trends in regions and identifies and plans for a range of technical assistance interventions to help the state and regional based coalition achieve their goals.
- Provides guidance to Field Operations Analyst to resolve gaps in number of activities and products requested and delivered. Interprets field operations directives and establishes guidelines.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent and 6 – 10 or more years of job related experience.
Strong verbal and written communication skills.
Comprehensive knowledge and experience of organizing teams and providing technical assistance to teams.
Prior work in public affairs and/or on policy campaigns or political campaigns.
Demonstrates excellent analytical, project management and leadership skills.
Proven ability to quickly understand and interpret strategic issues and directions.
Ability to communicate with all levels of management. Demonstrated diplomatic, networking, and delegation skills.
AARP offers competitive benefits with a 401K, 100% company funded pension plan, health, dental, vision and life insurance, STD/LTD, paid vacation and sick, and other benefits.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer that values workplace diversity.
AARP - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard