L-3 Integrated Optical Systems - Tinsley is a world leader in the design and manufacture of precision optical components, assemblies and sub-systems. We design and manufacture very precise spherical and non-spherical (aspheric) optical components with applications in the aerospace, commercial and defense industries. Our continuing legacy of quality, delivery and service has established us as the long term provider for the precision optical needs of our diverse and international customer base.
Director of Operations
The Director of Operations will provide leadership and build functional strength in Manufacturing (Production, Production Control, Purchasing/Materials, Facilities and EH&S) and Engineering (Optical, Metrology, Manufacturing/Process/Project Engineering) in addition, interface responsibilities to overall Division Supply Chain Management.
Position requires exceptional leadership strength and ability to lead cultural change, build partnerships, develop others and offer creative solutions to business issues. The Director of Operations has primary responsibility for the planning, estimating and successful execution of all Operations activities internal, customer funded development and production programs within boundaries of the negotiated cost, schedule and technical requirements meeting contractual commitments.
As a member of the leadership team you will participate in the overall direction, competitiveness and health of the organization.
- Provides the leadership and is responsible for Supply Chain Management, Manufacturing, Facilities, and Environmental Health and Safety for the business
- Sets the strategic direction, vision and mission of the organization.
- Builds a strong team that collaborates well with others.
- Responsible for on-time product delivery to customers and meets technical specifications
- Ensures the quality / integrity of work in process hardware and delivered products while meeting program objectives.
- Establishment of manufacturing processes, procedures & controls to ensure on time delivery of defect free products.
- Provide programs, proposals and projects with appropriate staff support and ensures changes are fully coordinated with adequate and effective transition.
- Ensures tooling, assembly work instructions and process instructions are in place to meet product requirements and specifications.
- Ensures factory capacity by anticipating program need, planning and preparing resources to meet needs of programs.
- Ensures efficient and effective use of facilities infrastructure for the company.
- Establishes/manages operations budgets and cost.
- Ensures the appropriate procurement, stores, inventory and inventory control, material handling, packaging, shipping & receiving are in place.
- Responsible to ensure production gates are completed and process compliance.
- Responsible for appropriate level of manufacturing technology and systems investment and capital planning to support the business plan.
- Responsible for developing and maintaining effective optical fabrication and metrology processes.
- Responsible for operations continuous improvement, cost controls, quality and delivery.
- Listens and understands internal and external customer's needs; facilitates the communication between stakeholders.
- Establish and maintain appropriate cost-effective ERP/MRP to support all material requirements of the business.
- Responsible for equipment and the processes to track and monitor performance and utilization.
- Ensures all personnel are adequately trained for their role and that there are developmental plans in place.
- Ensures and provides capability for environmental, health & safety for products and personnel while in all work areas.
- Creates and maintains an Engineering team responsible for optical design, metrology, tooling design and process/project engineering able to generate and meet technical, cost, schedule, quality, and financial performance commitments of optical fabrication projects.
- Ensures appropriate use of standard PM processes (WBS, IPR, scheduling, reviews, etc.), procedures, and metrics e.g.. Program Planning and Control (PP&C = IMS, EVM, CAM, etc.).
- Monitors compliance with program plans and schedules, including milestones and performance, ensuring contractual commitments.
Qualifications / Requirements
Bachelor's degree in engineering, math, science or related field. Advanced degree and/or MBA desired.
Minimum 10 years Operations / Manufacturing experience, to include 5 plus years optical components fabrication experience; 8 years as a "people manager" and a demonstrated record of success in leading mid to large functional organizations, preferably from defense industry experience.
Program management experience is desirable.
Knowledge of DoD acquisition process and customer requirements.
Prior experience with Lean, CMMI, Six Sigma or ISO certification preferred.
Leads by example and fosters ethical behavior within the team.
Creates a culture of learning, provides development through training, mentoring and assignments.
Proven experience in attracting, developing and retaining talent.
Team builder that fosters collaborative relationships and innovation.
Strong internal / external customer service skills.
Excellent communication skills, candid speaker and inspires others.
Encourages diversity of thought and perspective.
Demonstrated leadership experience in a matrix environment.
Strong business acumen.
Proactive and gets results.
Excellent planning and execution skills.
L-3 Integrated Optical Systems is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.
U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident status is required.
US Security Clearance Required
Day - 1st
Yes, 25 % of the Time
Integrated Optical Systems
L-3 Communications - 2 years ago
L-3 is a top ten defense company that delivers superior performance to the U.S. government, our allies and leading corporations throughout...