Scribd is a technology company in San Francisco building the world's online library. By making it easy for anyone to publish books and documents on the web, we've assembled the web's largest library of written works spanning everything from original novels to powerpoint presentations. Scribd is profitable and is one of the largest sites on the web, but it is still run by a comparatively small team and still in the very early stages of achieving our vision for what the library of the future could be. We are working on a broad set of hard technical problems from crafting a beautiful mobile reading experience to creating smart recommendation algorithms, and always looking for engineers of many backgrounds to help us.
Find out more about what we do:
Scribd Tech Blog
Scribd on GitHub
Scribd is a top 100 site on the web and one of the very largest sites built using Ruby on Rails. As one of the first Rails sites to reach scale, we've built a lot of infrastructure and solved a lot of challenges to get Scribd to where it is today.
To allow us to keep scaling, we're now looking to add an experienced operations professional to the team. As a member of Scribd operations, you'll have tremendous ownership and responsibility for one of the web's most popular applications. Because Scribd is a startup, you will wear many hats and have broader responsibility than you would at a larger company. Some tools we work with include Chef, Nginx, HAProxy, Memcached, Squid, Solr, Sphinx, HBase, Hive, MySQL, Redis, Tomcat, Jetty, and Glassfish.
We have a largely distributed ops team, and this role is open to remote employees working from anywhere in the world. Let us know when you apply if you want to work remotely.
A few of the things you'll do:
* Modify/improve/fix a 150+ growing server farm and infrastructure which is running on top of it
* Keep Scribd.com up and fast
* Communicate with developers, help them roll out new functionality, and build internal tools for developers
* Be a part of 24x7 on-call schedule with other members of the Dev/Ops team
* Build and roll out new infrastructure components to support new functionality and continued growth
Our Ideal Candidate Has:
* Worked on some relatively large-scale website infrastructure before
* Strong general sys admin skills, including Linux, networking, and configuration
* Strong programming/scripting skills in any language! Bonus points of course for Ruby on Rails : )
Bonus Points For:
* Experience with databases, particularly large-scale MySQL setups
* Experience with Ruby or Ruby on Rails, did we already mention that?
* Open-source contributions or side projects we can look at, particularly something infrastructure related
* Competitive salary
* Full benefits
* Create your own workstation with any type of equipment
* Free catered meals three times a day
* Company activities
* Generous equity
* Flat organizational structure that ensures your influence on products we build
Authentic Jobs - 11 months ago