JOB TITLE: Operations Special Projects Coordinator
REPORTS TO: Vice President of Operations and Growth
JOB GOAL :
Successfully complete short term projects as assigned by operations, growth, advancement, and/or communications leads; creation of processes for cyclical projects in order to create efficiencies for future years; shadowing of YES Prep Senior Leader and YES Prep directors in order to gain a broad exposure to the organizational structure and practices of YES Prep.
ILLUSTRATIVE RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Raise the awareness of the second annual YES Prep College Rush and increase participation 100%
- Coordinate and support special projects for the Operations Team as assigned
- Assist Director of Strategic Initiatives with implementation and execution of three district partnerships
- Create an advancement structure that maximizes the impact of community engagement while minimizing the required internal resources
- Coordinate and support special projects for the Communications and Marketing Team as assigned
- Additional duties as assigned
The YES Prep College Rush is a 5K and 10K family friendly “fun run” sponsored by YES Prep Public Schools in order to raise awareness about our mission to send students from disadvantaged communities to the best colleges and universities in the country and to raise funds for college scholarships for those students. December 2012 was the first College Rush event, and there were 800 registrants. For the second annual event in December 2013, we are seeking to increase participation to at least 800 registrants.
Goal: Increase the number of registrants from 800 to over 2000. Ensure that over 90% of participants agree or strongly agree that the event was successful.
- Create a week by week project plan for the event
- Communicate with campus based personnel to organize volunteers, packet pickups, and distribution of race related materials
- Manage the race database
- Coordinate ordering of race day swag
- Coordinate work plan with the race director and serve as the YES Prep liaison to the race director and event location
- Communicate regularly with internal and external participants
- Effectively close out the event in the month following the event
- Other duties as assigned
YES Prep is currently involved in two district partnerships with traditional public school districts—one in Aldine ISD and one in Spring Branch ISD. In addition to the two existing partnerships, YES Prep will potentially be in a third district partnership with Houston ISD. These partnerships require constant maintenance, regular communication, relationship building, and project management. YES Prep’s Director of Strategic Initiatives is ultimately responsible for the success of these district partnerships, but in this facet of the role the Operations Special Projects Intern will assist to ensure the successful ongoing implementation and execution of these three partnerships.
Goal: Assist the Director of Strategic Initiatives in the planning of two district partnership high schools and the successful first year of YES Prep Hoffman within Hoffman Middle School in Aldine ISD.
- Meet weekly with the Director of Strategic Initiatives
- Facilitate meetings between partners
- Attend meetings as necessary in order to capture decisions and commitments
- Other duties as assigned
Community engagement is currently being handled by different groups and individuals across the YES Prep district. Groups like college initiatives, student support counselors, and advancement have expressed interest in tapping a nascent network like YPP to bring additional resources to YES Prep and deepen our relationship with the wider Houston community. Campus coordinators are also taking steps to increase parent involvement. However each department has limited capacity to develop a coordinated structure for achieving these goals and bringing interested groups together for the greatest impact.
Goal: Create a structure that maximizes the impact of community engagement while minimizing the required internal resources.
Communications and Marketing Team
- Facilitate an opt-in process for individuals, departments and/or campuses to participate
- Capture and communicate the vision, anticipated hurdles, and needs for community engagement from the internal YES Prep stakeholders who have opted in to participate
- Create an efficient and streamlined structure for connecting interested community partners, volunteers, and parents to YES Prep service and support needs
- Implement and support a pilot program for 2013-14
- Collect feedback from internal and external stakeholders in the pilot program and make a recommendation for how YES Prep could systematize community engagement district-wide
- Other duties as assigned
- Specific projects, objectives and goals to be determined by the Director of Communications and Marketing
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Demonstrate behavior that is professional, ethical, and responsible;
- Participate in workshops, seminars, and conferences to enhance knowledge and skills;
- Demonstrate knowledge, and support of YES Prep Schools’ mission, values, standards, policies and procedures, confidentiality standards, Employee Field Guide expectations, and code of ethical behavior as stated in the Field Guide;
- Ensure compliance with all state and federal laws, local board policies, administrative guidelines, and the Texas Educators’ Code of Ethics;
- Serve as appropriate role model for YES Prep colleagues, students, staff, and parents;
- Conduct self in a professional manner at all times;
- Ability to perform a variety of tasks, often changing assignments on short notice, with little to no direction;
- Ability to communicate effectively and appropriately with others;
The ideal candidate for this position will possess the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year educational institution
Skills and Mindsets:
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Demonstrated event planning skills
Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
- Belief in and commitment to the mission and core value of YES Prep Public Schools;
- Openness to giving and receiving frequent feedback;
- Demonstrated ability to work on a team;
- A dedication to learn, grow, and develop as a professional;
- Belief that every student can and will achieve;
- Ability to work urgently in a fast-paced and results-oriented environment;
- Strong written communication skills;
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and initiatives at once;
- Detail-oriented and self-directed;
- Initiator, problem-solver, and creative thinker;
- Ability to maintain emotional control under stress.
COMMITMENT AND COMPENSATION :
- Frequent prolonged and irregular hours of duty
- Some light manual labor
- Endure inclement weather conditions to provide for student safety
Length of Work Year:
Year-round position; evening and weekend commitments also will be required
Compensation and Benefits:
Compensation commensurate with experience; YES offers a friendly and committed team of colleagues, and a comprehensive benefits plan including medical, dental, vision, life, and disability, plus supplemental policies, and retirement programs, including the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and a 401(k) plan.
* The forgoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills that may be required. YES Prep Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual preference, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, pregnancy, or veteran status.
These students are hooked on higher education. The University of Texas System runs nine universities throughout the Lone Star State with a...