Supervise and coordinate all activities of dockworkers and other support personnel. Provide planning, direction and control of all available resources for insuring timely, damage-free, safe loading/unloading of freight on assigned shifts. Provide support personnel and dockworker training and performance feedback including recommending discipline when necessary. Recommend or carry out personnel actions including hiring, disciplining, discharging, laying off, and recalling of employees. Cooperate with Linehaul, OS&D, Billing and other departments as necessary.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Directly supervise all activities of dockworkers and other support personnel engaged in loading and unloading trucks and in moving and storing materials or products. Assign job tasks to workers according to loading and unloading schedules. Verify materials loaded or unloaded against work order or bill of lading. Direct workers to move materials or products to storage areas or production departments.
2. Directly supervise and observe loading of trucks to determine conformance to loading patterns and to prevent shifting or damage to materials or products during transit. Ensure that freight is properly loaded on trucks so that they may be safely operated on the road. Confirm that the freight load is balanced and placed, distributed or secured in such a manner that the safe operation of the truck will not be jeopardized.
3. Coordinate work assignments, monitor performance and provide training on job duties, company policies and procedure. Train new employees in job duties. Develop improved performance of employees through feedback and coaching. Draw conclusions from coaching and analyze to determine if further action is necessary to facilitate satisfactory production levels. Ensure effective performance management of assigned employees while creating a teamwork environment. 4. Dispatch drivers for delivery and/or pickup of freight. Assign motor vehicles and drivers. Compile list of available vehicles. Assign vehicles according to factors, such as length and purpose of trip, freight requirements, and preference of user. Issue keys, record sheets, and credentials to drivers. Record time of departure, destination, cargo, and expected time of return. Investigate overdue vehicles. Establish service or delivery routes. Direct activities of drivers, using appropriate communication devices.
5. Provide a clean, safe environment for all personnel and visiting customers. Foster safe handling and storage of hazardous materials as provided by the Department of Transportation.
6. Ensure that all work is performed according to company approved procedures, standards and specifications for dock and office operations.
7. Evaluate all aspects of employee performance and provide coaching or discipline as needed.
8. Performs duties of Terminal Support Assistant as needed.
1. High school education or equivalent.
2. Knowledge of proper freight handling/loading techniques.
3. Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of operations. Strong interpersonal skills to create conditions for cooperation and high standards of performance from subordinates.
4. Strong organizational skills.
5. Ability to work long hours including weekends and in inclement weather conditions.
1. Bachelor's degree in Transportation, Business or equivalent work experience.
2. 1-2 years supervisory experience.
3. Demonstrated leadership abilities.
4. Previous experience with a LTL motor freight carrier with knowledge of hazardous materials and applicable collective bargaining agreements. 5. Familiarity with mainframe computers and/or PC applications.
Yellow Roadway Corporation
- 24 months ago - save job