Health care professional that assists in selection and dispensing of eyewear, such as spectacles, contact lenses and other visual aids. Responsible for reading prescription specifications.
DEMONSTRATE AND MAINTAIN TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE OF THE JOB AND RELATED PROCEDURES.
KNOWLEDGE OF LAB PRINCIPALS, PRACTICES AND TECHNIQUES.
- Measures, fits, adjusts and repairs eyewear.
- Evaluates patient facial structure to determine proper frame fit. Dispenses spectacles and accessories; troubleshoots eyeglass problems including adjustments and repairs.
- Recommends eyeglass frames, lenses and lens coatings after considering the prescription and the customer's occupation, habits, and facial features. Reshape or bend the frame, by hand or using pliers, so that the eyeglasses fit the customer properly and comfortably.
- Utilizes a lensometer to record present eyeglass prescription.
- Possess manual dexterity and the ability to do precision work.
PERFORMS VARIOUS CARE ACTIVITIES AND RELATED SKILLS TO ENSURE PATIENT SATISFACTION.
- Ability to correctly read prescription specifications.
- Ensure that all measurements, coatings and tints are documented per workorder specifications. Discuss customer's needs, occupation and hobbies to determine best lenses to suite lifestyle.
- Verify quality and measurements of materials returned from lab utilizing lensometer.
- Possess ability to begin jobs without prompting, maintain productivity in both quantity and quality of work and appropriately plan and organize work for maximization.
PARTICIPATES IN EDUCATION AND PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENT ACTIVITIES.
- Assist the supervisor with the formulation of policies, practices and guidelines related to dispensary and lab. Work with representatives of frame manufacturers to determine appropriate frames to purchase for population served.
- Verifies insurance eligibility and coverage, preparation and maintenance of medical records; updates patient demographic and financial data entry in the practice management database/software.
- Assists the front desk staff with routine duties such as answering the telephone, scheduling patients and other tasks to facilitate efficient and effective delivery of service.
- May assist in various contact lens procedures, and also teach contact lens patients to insert, remove, and care for their contact lenses.
- Listen responsively to patient concerns or complaints and provide or seek appropriate remedies. Verifies customer satisfaction by performing follow up calls after delivery of eyewear.
PERFORMS OTHER POSITION APPROPRIATE DUTIES AS REQUIRED IN A COMPETENT, PROFESSIONAL AND COURTEOUS MANNER.
- Independently contribute ideas and process improvements, and look for creative solutions to improve efficiency in order to meet goals of continuous improvement. Demonstrates ability to communicate verbally or in written form.
- Demonstrate and maintain expertise on the practice management software and equipment relevant to the optical dispensary and lab.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of insurance companies' guidelines for claims preparation, billing and collection.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- One year of experience preferred.
- Basic math and good communication skills required.
Experience: Minimum/No Experience
Degree: H. S. Graduate/GED Equivalent
Department: MnCCln Optical Shop
Standard Hours Per Week: 40
Scott & White - 20 months ago
copy to clipboard -