Position: Organizer (1.0 FTE)
Location: Washington, D.C.
Salary: Commensurate With Experience
The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of the Nation’s Capital is an affiliate of a nationwide non-profit, non-partisan organization devoted to working daily in the courts, legislatures and communities to defend individual rights and personal freedoms guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution and the Bill of Rights.
The ACLU of Nation’s Capital seeks an Organizer to coordinate its’ outreach efforts to mobilize public support for civil liberties and civil rights throughout the District of Columbia. The Organizer will substantially focus on engaging youth on civil rights and civil liberties matters using non-print and non-traditional forms of communication.
- Design and implement social media and grassroots strategies to mobilize youth, ACLU-NCA members, and supporters to take meaningful action on the ACLU’s local priorities;
- Develop effective digital outreach techniques and tailor them to specific target groups; especially youth
- Engage ACLU members and supporters through community forums, public hearings, panel discussions, phone banks, movie screenings, and training for activists, etc.;
- Under supervision, develop outreach/organizing materials, such as Internet forums , weblogs , social blogs , micro-blogging , wikis , social networks , podcasts , photographs or pictures, YouTube videos, and social bookmarking
- Identify and engage potential allies and establish partnerships with local allied organizations, especially reaching out to communities of color and other diverse organizations and individuals;
- Organize public education and public policy events and activities;
- Build upon existing relationships and create new alliances to strengthen ACLU of the Nation’s Capital ‘s visibility and mobilization efforts;
- Stimulate the growth of ACLU membership, including the creation of student clubs at local high schools, colleges, and universities
- Recruit, mentor and develop local leaders in a local civil liberties movement; especially youth Represent the ACLU of the Nation’s Capital throughout the District
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience;
- Minimum of two (2) years experience with organizing and grassroots mobilization;
- Formal grassroots mobilization training preferred (i.e. Midwest Academy, People’s Institute, etc…)
- Proven track record of utilizing social media networks to engage youth and/or other marginalized groups (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Foursquare, Yelp, Qype, Bebo, Linked In, etc…)
- Demonstrated commitment to civil liberties and civil rights and the mission of the ACLU;
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency in using Microsoft Office programs (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Publisher);
- Work cooperatively with diverse groups and organizations;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral;
- Ability to keep organized in a fast-paced environment and to manage several projects simultaneously;
- Ability to build vision, to stimulate, and inspire others;
- Ability to attend evening and weekend meetings
- Fluency in Spanish is desired, but not required.
The ACLU-NCA offers a generous, comprehensive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience.
APPLICATION PROCESS :
Applicants will be accepted until December 17, 2012 . Telephone and walk-in inquiries are not permitted . Interested persons should submit a cover letter, résumé, 2 samples of social media campaigns, and 3 references by email to:
Ms. Benétta M. Standly
ACLU of the Nation’s Capital
4301 Connecticut Ave., NW, Suite 434
Washington DC 20008
or via email to: email@example.com
Please put position title in the subject line of your email or cover letter.
Please indicate in your cover letter where you learned of this career opportunity
The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) is a national 501(c) (4) public interest organization devoted to the defense of the U.S. Constitution and the Bill of Rights. The ACLU of the Nation’s Capital is the Washington, DC affiliate of the ACLU. The ACLU of the Nation’s Capital is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages employment of women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and lesbians, bisexual, transgender, and gay men.
This job description provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU-NCA reserves the right to change the job description and/or posting at any time without advance notice.
The philosopher Socrates once said, "I am that gadfly which God has given the state." While the American Civil Liberties Union...