The selected candidate for our Orthopedics Medical Services Coordinator (MSC)/Surgery Scheduler position will greet patients, provides information, may handle cash, communicates with departments within the clinic and ensures and optimizes the efficient delivery of patient flow and paperwork for Sansum Clinic services. Job functions will be modified and improved as necessary to promote a team effort.
SUMMARY OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (This list may not include all of the duties assigned.)
1. Greets patients in a polite, prompt, and helpful manner. Provide any necessary instructions/directions. Provides exemplary customer service to patients and staff.
2. Books complex appointment sets for patients as related to surgery needs.
3. Completes and gathers necessary paperwork and assures accuracy of it.
4. Gathers prior authorizations from insurance companies.
5. Coordinates with hospital/surgery center to ensure timely exchange of information related to patient surgery.
6. Uses Sansum Clinic Practice Management System to verify and update patient information necessary for billing.
7. Collects co-pays/deposits and documents the receipt of them in Sansum Clinic computer system.
8. Balances co-payments with Sansum Clinic computer system at the end of shift. Responsible, at the end of shift, for delivering the day’s cash to the correct individual. Follows Sansum Clinic cash handling polices.
9. Maintains a clean and orderly working and waiting area, including reading materials and replenishment of brochures.
10. Answers telephones, screens, and provides information in a pleasant manner while dealing with patients expeditiously.
11. Answers questions regarding patient appointment and testing.
12. Attends meetings as required.
13. Maintains strictest confidentiality in accordance with Sansum Clinic policy.
14. Performs related work as required within the assigned facility to ensure the smooth flow of patients in order to optimize physician and patient time as well as departmental efficiency.
15. Provides exemplary customer service to patients and staff.
16. Participates in department quality improvement, clinic safety, infection control and hazardous materials programs and activities.
17. Provides patient with necessary forms needing completion, obtains signatures as necessary.
18. Informs department via Sansum Clinic Practice Management System of the arrival of patients.
19. May assist in maintaining patient charts.
20. Uses Sansum Clinic Practice Management System to book/coordinate complex appointment schedules and reschedule patient appointments.
21. Relays messages accurately to staff via electronic Medical Record System and processes tasks from the appropriate MSC Task List.
22. May be responsible for maintaining patient referrals process, prior authorization from insurance companies, and other clerical functions within the department.
23. Assists with all aspects of administration within the assigned facility as well as physicians, nursing staff and triage to ensure the smooth flow of patients in order to optimize physician and patient time and departmental efficiency.
Date of Listing
40 Hours Per Week
QUALIFICATIONS: Must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and abilities of personnel placed in similar or the same positions.
> Must have the ability to speak clearly and concisely.
> Must be able to read, write, spell, speak and comprehend English.
> Must be able to follow oral and written instructions.
> Must be proficient with word based computer programs and have the ability to type forty-five (45) wpm.
> Must be proficient at basic arithmetic.
> Must be able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, employees and the public.
> Must be able to use standard office equipment.
> Must be able to handle multi-line telephone system.
> Must have strong ability to multitask and maintain an organized work area.
> Must pass the Sansum Clinic clerical test.
> High School diploma or equivalent.
> One (1) year customer and clerical support experience in medical setting.
> Knowledge of medical terminology as well as general knowledge of medical insurance.
PHYSICAL/MENTAL/WORKING CONDITIONS: Physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The work environment is that of an office environment typical of a medical practice, hospital or Clinic. There may be limited exposure to communicable disease. The job requires extended periods of sitting, some standing, bending, stooping and walking. Work may require hand dexterity for telephone and office machine operation as well as computer keyboarding. Work may be stressful at times. Interaction with others is constant and interruptive.
Employee must pass the Sansum Clinic pre-placement physical screening exam.
Sansum Clinic - 21 months ago