There is a part-time (hourly) Library Technician position available in Literacy Services at the Library Learning Center. This position performs learner assessments, tutor training and reporting for the adult and teen literacy program in addition to proving traditional library services. |
The Learning Center is open Monday - Thursday, 9 am to 8 pm and Friday, 9 am to 5 pm. The scheduled work days and hours for the part-time (hourly) Library Technician – Literacy Services position will vary, up to no more than 18 hours per week. Hourly positions are not benefited and cannot exceed 980 total hours worked within one fiscal year.
The ideal candidate has proven customer service and communication skills; is caring and easily approachable; is passionate about literacy; is able to perceive needs and find solutions. This position may have the opportunity to substitute in Bilingual Services in the Library Learning Center; bilingual in English and Spanish languages is desirable.
Applicants will be notified only if selected for an interview.
As conditions of employment, the City of Carlsbad verifies eligibility to work in the United States, and conducts a Department of Justice LiveScan Fingerprint report.
Part-time (hourly) Library Technicians – Literacy Services perform the following functions under the direct supervision of the Literacy Services Outreach Coordinator:
- Conduct learner orientations, assessments, tutor training and coaching
- Document procedures and write newsletter articles
- Manage volunteers
- Maintain records with timely and accurate data entry
- Open and close the literacy office and classrooms
- Provide information and referrals
- Perform phone and reception duties
- Assist guests with use of the library collection
- Interact with other library and City staff in addition to outside vendors
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required:
- Practiced in literacy instruction with adults and teens
- Compassionate when working with clientele with diverse backgrounds
- Proficient working with computers, databases, and applications including Microsoft Office and the internet; experience working with LACES a plus
- Possesses strong customer service and written/verbal communication skills
- Experienced in performing multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Able to maintain confidentiality
- Demonstrated focus on program mission and goals
- Passionate about literacy, libraries and helping individuals meet their goals
- Cooperates easily with other team members
Experience & Education:
Any combination equivalent to experience and education that could likely provide the required knowledge and abilities would qualify.
While performing the duties of this class, an employee is regularly required to sit; talk or hear, in person and by telephone; use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate standard office equipment; and reach with hands and arms. An employee is frequently required to walk and stand. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus to read and operate office and computer equipment as necessary during the course of the work assignments.
While performing the duties, employees of this class are regularly required to use written and oral communication skills; observe and interpret people and situations; learn and apply new information or skills; and interact with staff and others encountered in the course of work. Incumbents may occasionally need to travel to various city locations or to off-site locations as necessary and as the assignment demands.