There is a part-time (hourly) Library Technician position available in Bilingual Services at the Library Learning Center. The Learning Center is open to the public Monday through Thursday, 9 am – 8 pm and Friday, 9 am – 5 pm. Learning Center Bilingual Services staff may also offer programming and community outreach services in English and Spanish beyond regular library hours, including occasional weekends. |
The scheduled work days and hours for the part-time (hourly) Library Technician – Bilingual Services position will vary, up to no more than 18 hours per week. Hourly positions are not benefited and cannot exceed 980 total hours worked within one fiscal year.
This position may have the opportunity to substitute in Literacy Services at the Learning Center as well as other divisions of the Carlsbad Library System.
Applicants will be notified only if selected for an interview.
As conditions of employment, the City of Carlsbad verifies eligibility to work in the United States, and conducts a Department of Justice LiveScan Fingerprint report.
Part-time (hourly) Library Technicians – Bilingual Services perform the following functions under the direct supervision of the Community Outreach Supervisor:
- Provide information, referrals, and reference services to patrons in English and Spanish
- Help patrons access internet computers and utilize printing services
- Participate in outreach activities to schools and community groups
- Prepare and install promotional displays
- Use automated systems to register patrons and manage user accounts
- Check library materials in and out
- Collect fees and operate a cashiering system accurately
- Other duties as assigned
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required for the position:
- Oral and written fluency in English and Spanish
- Previous experience working with children
- Proficient working with computers, databases, and applications including Microsoft Office and the internet
- Demonstrate strong customer service and written/verbal communication skills
- Possess knowledge of basic library methods and procedures
- Able to maintain privacy and confidentiality
- Adept at working in collaborative and cooperative team environment
Experience & Education:
Any combination equivalent to experience and education that could likely provide the required knowledge and abilities would qualify. For the part-time (hourly) Library Technician position, a typical way to acquire the skills and abilities would include college level classes in Library Technology, professional experience working in a school or teaching environment, general clerical experience and graduation from high school. Experience working in a public library is desired but not required.