PC/Help Desk Support Specialist is responsible for providing front line personal computer hardware and software support to employees.
Job Duties / Responsibilities:
End User Support
- Support employees in their use of personal computer hardware, peripherals, networked printers, Windows desktop operating systems, general business applications (MS Office) and common software applications (virus protection, VPN client software).
- Setup, install, configure, test and deploy personal computer hardware, peripherals and software applications as needed. Develop and maintain setup, installation and configuration procedural documentation.
- Create and manage user accounts for shared network resources and applications. Ensure that users are provided with the appropriate security rights. Enforce account password changes according to schedule.
- Ensure that loaner equipment is kept in inventory and is rapidly deployed to employees as needed.
- Work directly with vendors to troubleshoot issues and initiate support requests on behalf of employees.
- Provide recommendations for hardware and software purchases, upgrades and replacements.
- Establish, document and train employees on best practices to ensure minimal or no data loss in the event of a personal computer hard drive failure.
- Conduct IT orientation for new employees. Conduct acceptable use education for employees pertaining to their use of company computers.
- Educate employees in techniques to improve their productivity. Identify opportunities for efficiency improvements.
- Escalate user support issues as appropriate to other IT staff or other Technology Group staff.
- Maintain an inventory database of all personal computer hardware and software.
- Ensure all client software updates and patches are downloaded and installed in a timely basis.
- Ensure compliance with workstation software vendor licensing, and maintaining appropriate documentation.
- Maintain documentation of known software compatibility issues.
- Establish and administer vendor support contracts for the repair or replacement of mission critical personal computer hardware. Work directly with vendors to initiate support requests on behalf of employees. Maintain documentation of service performed.
- Assist with basic domain administration tasks including setup and removal of user accounts and email accounts.
- Assist with monitoring logs and taking action when appropriate, and/or alerting other IT staff to situations requiring intervention.
- Maintain inventories of supplies, parts and consumables.
- Conduct pre-purchase research on personal computer hardware and software product features, availability, and prices. Make purchase recommendations, obtain purchase quotes from vendors and initiate the purchase of items as directed in accordance with purchasing procedure.
- Assist with managing the operation of data backup and recovery systems for all networked servers and storage devices. Ensure backup operations are taking place according to an appropriate schedule, completing successfully, and not impacting on users’ ability to access resources during working hours. Manage magnetic media library and off-site storage procedures. Document backup and recovery procedures, and test procedures on a periodic basis.
- Assist in managing the operation of all corporate anti-virus systems. Subscribe to list servers for notification of significant threats as they are detected.
- Support existing phone system by maintaining adequate supply of phones, communicating with vendors to ensure smooth operations of company phone communications.
- Assist staff with arranging online meetings (e. g., GoTo Meetings and video conferencing).
- Stay current with industry trends, and provide input to the Director of Information Technology related to the development of strategic plans and annual budgets for end user support resource.
- Associate degree in computer science, computer technology or related field
- 2+ years of experience providing user support in MS Windows Desktop OS, MS Office and MS Windows Server domain environment
- Experience in supporting users in remote locations (full-time telecommuting employees)
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills
- Excellent organization skills and attention to detail
- Strong analytical problem solving skills
- Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision
The Sheridan Group - 19 months ago
According to The Sheridan Group, it's printing that is mightier than the sword. Through its six specialized printing businesses, The...