This is a technical staff position responsible for supporting automated information systems, related programming, and providing computer technical support. Work involves researching information needs, installing and testing new computer programs, performing network administrative tasks and computer and user support. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Director of Information Technology.
Examples of Duties:
• Operates and maintains computers including installing, upgrading and troubleshooting approved hardware and software systems.
• Researches the hardware/software needs of City departments and recommends hardware/software to satisfy those needs. Tests, and documents new programs and systems.
• Provides technical assistance and advice to computer and network users.
• Assists in the budget process by compiling data to aid in preparation of annual department needs.
• Acts as a liaison with hardware and software vendors, developers and support groups.
• Maintains regular punctual and predictable attendance, works overtime and extra hours as required.
• Performs Network Administration on city servers including installing and supporting peripheral equipment, creating new user accounts and assigning passwords.
• Performs coordinator functions for administrative management software, and the electronic mail system.
• Identifies, schedules, and coordinates daily backup procedures.
• Works on special projects as assigned.
Associate Degree in Computer Science or related field, three to five years experience supporting computer hardware and software, or any equivalent combination of education, experience and training which provides the following knowledge, abilities and skills:
• Thorough knowledge of information services processes with an emphasis on computer related technologies.
• Knowledge of the generally accepted practices of computer technology, hardware, software and LAN functions.
• Ability to support systems and programs.
• Ability to operate computers and related hardware and train people in their use.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the public.
• Ability to work effectively in a team setting.
• Ability to understand and carry out complex oral and/or written instructions.
• Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision and conform to deadlines.
• Ability to sustain prolonged visual concentration.
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Ability to work occasional nights or weekends.
• Possess and maintain a valid Wisconsin driver's license.
City of Appleton, WI - 13 months ago