- Responsible for patient care outcomes through the coordinated delivery of nursing care for areas of responsibility. With guidance from the Clinical Director, deploys priorities for clinical quality, service and Associate development and retention. Ensures that a collaborative plan of care is implemented by Registered Nurses and other team members. Assists professional nurses with the coordination of the patients' care with multidisciplinary team. Ensures responsiveness to physicians. Directs Associates providing on-site coaching and staff assignments. Conducts Associate performance evaluation in collaboration with the Clinical Director. Ensures continued readiness regarding accreditation and regulatory requirements. Responsible for assuring the general upkeep of the physical facilities and patient care equipment. Models appropriate behavior as exemplified in MLH Mission, Vision and Values.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Makes rounds on patients to ensure that care is being delivered according to plan.
- Orchestrates patient flow and bed assignments within the shift.
- Assists with emergency situations, unit admissions/overload, and supports staff in direct care activities.
- Trouble-shoots for patient safety, assessments, and care issues during rounds and throughout shift.
- Ensures immediate response to patient and/or family concerns.
- Serves as primary point of contact for physicians and is responsive to physicians' needs.
- Makes/ensures that appropriate shift assignments are made, including assignment for physician order review.
- Guides and collaborates with Case Managers to ensure appropriate patient resource use and movement.
- Supports flow of information and communications including interdisciplinary information and communications from Clinical Director to Associates and from Associates to Clinical Director.
- Collaborates with support departments to get services to patients or to the unit.
- Delegates tasks appropriately and within licensure requirements.
- Participates in quality reviews for clinical care.
- Provides clinical leadership to Associates during the shift.
- Supports Associate's development of skill and knowledge.
- Provides first line feedback to staff on performance.
- In collaboration with Clinical Director prepares and conducts performance evaluations as directed.
- Creates a positive work environment and contributes to Associate retention.
EDUCATION/TRAINING & EXPERIENCE:
- RN with current license to practice as a professional nurse in the State of Tennessee.
- Bachelor's degree required, nursing preferred OR currently pursuing BSN to be attained within 5 years from date of hire.
- Certification in the clinical specialty or nursing administration within one year of eligibility to sit for exam.
- Clinical expertise appropriate to the specialty.
- Communication and delegation skills are essential.
- Experience where leadership potential has been demonstrated.
Methodist Healthcare - 17 months ago