Professional License Required
Position Title: Pharmacy Manager/Oncology and Investigational Drugs
Under the general direction of the Director of Pharmacy Services, the Pharmacy Manager/Oncology and Investigational Drugs provides comprehensive pharmaceutical care and work with our Infusion Center , Hematology Oncology Unit and Oncology Physician practice nursing staff. This individual will have direct contact with our Hematology/Oncology Physicians, Infectious Disease physicians, and their patients. The Oncology Manager will primarily be involved in providing Clinical/Dispensing/Managerial services for our Hem/Onc practices (on-site and off- site) and patients and establishing new workflow and programming for the areas. The Manager will perform Oncology Pharmacist’s duties as needed. The Oncology Pharmacy Manager demonstrates good leadership/management skills and a commitment to customer service, professional accountability, and growth.
Pharmacy Manager/Oncology and Investigational Drugs:
- Assures the delivery of quality department/clinical services in accordance with established hospital and regulatory/accreditation agency standards.
- Is responsible and accountable for the overall operations of Pharmacy Oncology areas, Cancer center, Oncology Physician practices and investigational drug areas. Overall operations of the Oncology and IRB medication area include development of area goals and objectives that are consistent with the hospital mission, the management of personnel, preparing/monitoring of aseptic technique, quality assurance and Joint commission and regulatory standards
- Creates, revises and monitors compliance to policies regarding Oncology services in all environments and treatment settings including all chemotherapy and investigational medications.
- Provides staffing duties daily
- Prepares chemotherapy safely and trains and monitors compliance with standards of operation in the area including management of hazardous drugs/ spills.
- Collaborates with physicians and other members of the health care team to assure the delivery of optimum patient care.
- Assures that employee competency and education requirements are satisfied as per hospital policy.
- As required, participates in the Performance Improvement Program as defined by the organization.
- Is responsible for participation in committees, task forces and projects as appropriate.
- Assures the provision of a safe employee environment.
- Maintains knowledge related to the operations of oncology, sterile products and investigational drugs areas, equipment and maintenance of the areas.
- Maintain a level of knowledge and competency by participating in Oncology continuing education as well as human subject training.
- Works collaboratively with all levels of the hospital interdisciplinary team and promotes the team concept within Pharmacy department, Physician practices and hospital wide.
- Demonstrates positive customer service, fosters positive employee relations.
- Is supportive of hospital initiatives and projects and functions as a positive change agent.
- Promotes a positive and professional image and is a role model, coach, mentor and resource for staff and peers. Excellent interpersonal skills.
Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Develops and submits Oncology and investigational medication goals and objectives as required by the Director of Pharmacy.
2. Assures compliance with state regulations and accreditation standards in all settings (Hospital, physician practices, Dickstein infusion center).
3. Assures completion of staff orientation, annual and ongoing competency and education requirements regarding sterile technique and compliance with USP Chapter 797 guidelines and proper use and maintenance of equipment .
4. Attends and participates in educational programs or activities to maintain current level of knowledge or expertise to manage the Oncology areas and participate in the IRB.
5. Attends the IRB and Oncology related Committee meetings and reports back necessary information to the Director.
6. Attends other meetings as required.
7. Provides staffing duties daily.
8. Participates and assures department involvement in ongoing Performance Improvement initiative as required. Submits reports as required.
9. Develops standards of care, policies and procedures, etc. as needed for the Pharmacy in conjunction with the Pharmacy Director.
10. Reports at staff meetings every other month or monthly to update staff and/or address department/ Oncology area issues.
11. Utilizes multiple methodologies to communicate information.
12. Adheres to safety standards for employees and patients.
13. Maintains equipment in the Sterile Products and Oncology areas.
14. Participates in committees, task forces, projects, etc. as required.
15. Submits all other work reports as required/requested by the Pharmacy Director.
16. Is cooperative and professional though response to change, assistance to peers and effective communication among the health care team.
17. Maintains a positive attitude with positive responses requiring conflict resolution.
18. Communicates with Pharmacy Manager to delegates activities to staff as needed to accomplish goals in the department
19. Adheres to all WPH standards of care, policies and procedures including dress code, code of conduct, behavioral standards, completion of annual mandatory education and completion of annual health assessment.
Education, Training, Licensure and Experience Requirements
Job Qualifications and experience:
Graduate from an accredited school of Pharmacy with minimum of a BS in Pharmacy.
Current New York License and Registration.
2-3 years hospital management experience preferred
Oncology Certification preferred
Minimum five years recent experience as a Pharmacist in an acute hospital or Outpatient Oncology setting.
Successful completion of Hospital and Departmental Orientation Program, according to hospital and Pharmacy policy and procedure.
White Plains Hospital - 10 months ago
White Plains Hospital is a voluntary, not-for-profit health care organization with the primary mission of offering high quality, acute...