The function of two offices has been combined into one physical space to promote efficiencies in staffing, operational expenses, and convenience for students. As such, the two offices, saw over 6,700 client visits from September to December 2012. While two separate missions exist for the respective offices, the over-arching goal is to promote student retention by providing access, solutions, and expertise to promote career maturity and student persistence.
Career, Internship & Student Employment Services conducts on-campus recruiting, maintains lifelong files, coaches students on career choices and decisions, and provides information on careers, graduate schools, career plans, resumes, job searches, and other services.
The Office of Student Success targets its efforts to:
1) Identify students who are at risk
2) Use multiple channels of communication, including social media to connect with students
3) Assess student achievement through surveys and program assessment
4) Provide comprehensive tutoring services, workshops, and other programs to incentivize student engagement in and outside of the classroom
5) Intervene at key “critical moments” via early alert systems and with Student Success Advisors
6) Provide exciting and sustainable opportunities for students to engage in academic and co-curricular activities on campus.
As the front desk manager in a fast-paced environment with high expectations, the person in this position performs a variety of duties in support of three offices (Career & Internship Services, The Office of Student Success, and the newly-formed Office of Financial Education).
- Greeting, routing and assisting all students, parents, employers, faculty, and staff and the general public to the office
- Receiving, screening, and referring phone calls
- Hiring, scheduling, working with and supervising student employees to ensure adequate front desk coverage and the accurate dissemination of information
- Oversee scheduling of designated office space for 3 offices and up to 25 individuals
- Influence and implement programming efforts for 3 offices (scheduling, answering program inquiries, information dissemination)
- Demonstrating software programs to students to assist with job-related searches and tutoringAnswering routine questions and inquiries
- Scheduling appointments and maintaining office calendars of up to 25 individuals
- Making logistical arrangements, arranging for food, and other details related to event planning
- Providing visitors with necessary information and forms
- Recording, activating, maintaining and sending credential files
- Accounts receivable (for multiple accounts, including state, designated, and foundation accounts), for events and services rendered
- Opening, sorting, and routing mail
- Distributing various forms, literature, letters, etc. related to 3 offices
- Writing, proofing, and distributing letters, memos, and flyers as assigned
- Maintaining web pages as needed
- Performing related work as assigned
1. Two years of post-secondary education plus three years of full-time (or part-time equivalent) progressively responsible administrative and accounting work experience in a busy office setting providing high-level administrative support or an equivalent combination of relevant education and experience.
2. Demonstrated excellent verbal and written communication skills; communicating in an effective, professional, positive, accurate, and friendly manner while providing appropriate responses to questions or inquiries from students, parents, employers, faculty, staff, or co-workers, in person, by phone, or through business correspondence in a fast-paced office environment.
3. Demonstrated competence in organizing and prioritizing multiple work assignments, meeting deadlines, and exercising adaptability to changing priorities in a busy office setting with constant interruptions and high traffic volume.
4. Demonstrated ability to utilize discretion and sound decision making to come to independent decisions.
5. Demonstrated competence using personal computers and various software such as electronic or online calendars, word processing, spreadsheets, database, presentation, email and internet. Microsoft Office Suite preferred (please list equipment and software used).
6. Demonstrated competence successfully organizing a large-scale event or campaign.
1. Experience using the SCT Banner system.
2. Knowledge of MSU procedures and policies or previous experience working in a higher education setting.
3. Experience supervising a staff of part-time employees.
The successful candidate will also have the following abilities : work evenings or the occasional weekend; communicate effectively with employees and the public, both in person and over the phone; handle confidential records and information; operate standard office equipment; establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and the public; represent Career, Internship & Student Employment Services & The Office of Student Success and its programs to others in a professional and courteous manner.
1. In accordance with MSU policy, hiring will be conditional upon successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Screening or applications will begin April 1, 2013 , and continue until a suitable candidate is chosen.
To apply, please download the application materials by clicking here MSU Classified Employment Application .
The applicant MUST submit an MSU Application along with responses to the required and preferred qualifications. Electronic submissions in Word or PDF are highly preferred but hard copies will be accepted. An original signature on the MSU-Bozeman Application Cover Sheet is required via scanned PDF, fax, or hardcopy original to the address below. Submit materials to:
Amber Kleven, Search Support Montana State University Career & Internship Services 177 Strand Union Building P.O. Box 174180 Bozeman, MT 59717-4180 firstname.lastname@example.org Fax: 406-994-5488
Please e-mail or call Search Committee Contact at 406-994-4353 with any questions.
Founded in 1893, Montana State University - Bozeman has a national and international reputation for its excellence in undergraduate and...