The general responsibilities of the programmer/intern would be to assist with the planning, scheduling and oversight of outdoor education programs, special events, day camps and other recreational programs at Baylor, Lake Minnewashta and Lake Waconia Regional Parks along with the Dakota Rail Regional Trail. This position will also instruct/teach outdoor related skills and activities such as cross-country skiing, snow shoeing, canoeing, kayaking, fishing, geocaching, archery and other outdoor related classes. This position will provide a wide range of opportunities to learn about and experience park operations from many aspects including:
• General Park Operations
• Campground Operations
• Special Event Programming
• Park Maintenance
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Assist park staff with scheduled park programs and special events.
• Assist Park Staff to develop a series of additional events or activities such as special events, outdoor education classes, day camps, parent/child activities and other related programs.
• Work with groups like the Boy Scouts, Girls Scouts, school groups and others to facilitate programs in the regional park.
• Develop advertising and registration materials for classes, programs and special events.
• Develop budgets for individual programs, classes and events.
• Assist with training and oversight of seasonal staff.
• Occasionally assist with the maintenance of park facilities and grounds.
•Available to work weekends and holidays on a regular basis throughout employment.
• A Valid Minnesota Class D Driver's License.
• Enrolled as an undergraduate or have a degree in Outdoor Education, Recreation and Leisure Studies or similar degree.
• Good customer service skills and ability to work with the public and in an office and field setting.
• Experience developing, teaching and carrying out recreational programs, special events and/or outdoor education classes.
• Able to communicate effectively.
• Skilled in the use of Microsoft office software. (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
SCORED EXAMINATION PROCESS:
All applications will be screened for minimum qualifications, scored and ranked. The highest ranked candidates meeting minimum qualifications will be recommended for the scored oral examination (interview). Final selection for the position will include successful completion of oral interviews and background investigations.