This position is accountable for the preparation and entry of supplier invoices into the Accounts Payable system ensuring timely and accurate processing and properly classifying expense and capital purchases through the accounting- system.
This position reports to the Accounts Receivable/Payable Manager along with a department coordinator and seven clerks.
The incumbent is responsible for performing- the accounting and reconciling of supplier invoices with receiving documents and purchase order for capital and expense purchases within the Company. This includes maintaining a supplier pending, file for invoices, receivers and purchase orders and assuring that proper authorizations exist prior to entry into the Accounts Payable system. In order to perform this function adequately, the incumbent must do the following- on a daily basis:
1. Match supplier invoices with receiving, purchase order documents, and requisitions if applicable.
2. Verify extensions, price, quantity and select best discount and payment terms.
3. Resolve differences on paperwork with supplier and/or Receiving and/or Purchasing Department. This involves direct contact with the supplier by phone or letter concerning problem solving of differences, requesting credits, statement problems and any other related problems. Also, direct contact with all company personnel on resolving receiving and pricing differences is involved.
4. Assign job numbers or decide if account/job number provided by the purchaser is consistent with the account classification system used within the Company. This involves understanding the usage of some 3,300 account numbers and 3,000 job numbers. Differences are resolved through contact with the appropriate company personnel.
5. Decide if use tax should be paid, how much, to which state and by which payment method. This involves understanding the various states' use tax requirements and the procedures for payment.
6. Entry into the Accounts Payable system with proper due date for best terms, ledger month, discounts, proper account or job number, proper percentages of distribution, invoice numbers, use tax amount, if applicable, and group number.
The incumbent must exercise independence of judgment to determine when invoices should be assigned a job number or account number, monitor against duplicate payments, screen supplier changes from terms of purchase order, decide which invoices should be prepaid in order to assure timely payment of supplier invoices, and interpret use tax regulations as it relates to the work being performed.
The incumbent also does all filing of paid invoices for the department and assists with verification and mailing of computer generated supplier checks.
Additional duties include various reporting functions as requested, backup for other individuals in the department and maintaining a freight bill copy file to verify receipt of shipment and account/job number.
To properly perform this function, incumbent must have a thorough understanding of the inner workings of the Accounts Payable system, the Company account classification system, sales/use tax requirements for the states we operate in, and must be capable of interpreting Accounts Payable data to the various managers.
Since this position is in frequent contact with company personnel at all levels as well as outside business representatives, it is important that the incumbent demonstrates a friendly, pleasant and cooperative attitude.
The incumbent works under the general guidance of the Accounts Receivable/Payable Manager and exercises independent judgment and initiative under limited supervision. The incumbent receives general written or verbal instructions from the Accounts Receivable/Payable Manager and routine duties are handled independently. The incumbent only brings to the attention of the Manager matters which are out of the ordinary or need special attention. Also, incumbent receives work assignments from the Department Coordinator.
An Associates Degree in accounting or the equivalent in experience and a minimum of two to three years' experience in accounting is required in this position. Proficiency in the use of a calculator and personal computer is also required.
The following accountabilities are to be carried out in a manner consistent with the spirit and philosophy outlined in The Andersons' Statement of Principles:
1.) Prepare and enter supplier invoices into the Accounts Payable system assuring that account/job number assignment, payment amounts and use tax payments are completed in an accurate and timely manner.
2.) Maintain the Accounts Payable pending invoice, receiver and purchase order file so that, the most efficient approach for matching paperwork is available
3.) Resolve differences on paperwork in an efficient and timely manner,
4.) Maintain a freight bill copy file to verify receipt of shipment and to obtain proper account distribution.
5.) File and maintain the Accounts Payable paid invoices.
6.) Assist with verification and mailing of computer generated supplier checks.
7.) Interpret Accounts Payable transactions to the various managers in a knowledgeable and helpful manner.
8.) Assist the Manager and other areas as the department workload warrants.
9.) Develop and maintain an in-dept understanding of the Accounts Payable system and the use tax requirements applicable to each state in which the Company does business.
10.) Exercise good human relation skills in dealing with all levels of company personnel and individuals outside the company.
11.) Develop and maintain a close working relationship with all members of the Accounts Payable staff and coordinate with other divisions and departments the exchange of all necessary information displaying a friendly and cooperative attitude at all times.
12.) Establish and maintain an open, candid relationship with the Accounts Receivable/Payable Manager so that all matters of mutual concern and suggestions for improvements can be discussed freely.
The Andersons, Inc. - 17 months ago
Andersons, Inc. is an entrepreneurial company with diversified interests in the agriculture and transportation markets. The Company operates...