Provide assistance to the full-time administrative assistant with required range of administrative support services for the Nursing and Allied Health Departments. Programs in these two departments currently include Nursing, Nursing Assistant, Massage Therapy, Medical Assistant, Dental Assistant, Veterinary Technician, and Pharmacy Technician.
Description of Duties and Responsibilities:
Essential Job Functions
The department chair has the responsibility for departmental management, Clerical Assistant’s role is to provide support and assistance which includes the following:
1. Assist with monitoring and maintaining office supplies for the Nursing and Allied Health Departments and assist instructors in obtaining teaching supplies for the classroom and labs.
2. Assist as receptionist for the Nursing and Allied Health Departments, applying effective inter-communication skills in multiple modes, as well as informed departmental-College knowledge, needed to address promptly or re-direct appropriately all internal and external queries, help requests, concerns, and comments. Frontline duties include early and frequent monitoring of daily e-mail and voicemail message from departmental faculty requesting that their day’s classes and office hours be canceled due to the onset of illness or other unanticipated reasons.
3. Exercise proficiency in using current College computer-based software applications (e.g. Microsoft Office, Banner, Resource 25, Outlook) and other technologies to perform essential Nursing and Allied Health administrative support functions; maintain proficiency in updated College technologies through attending scheduled training opportunities and initiating requests for special training as required; and assist departmental faculty in learning how to use these technologies by providing immediate problem solving and/or by requesting ITS help and training.
4. Assist with maintaining personnel records for Nursing and Allied Health Dept. part-time and full-time faculty and classified staff; including Notices of Appointment and Load Sheets; student, peer, supervisor evaluation reports and Annual Reports of Activities; raise and rehire recommendations; approved professional improvement plans, funding requests, and final reports; approved non-teaching load, Sabbatical Leave, medical leave, and other relevant documents.
5. Assist with promoting effective internal and external communication about Nursing and Allied Health Dept. programs through maintaining and updating departmental Outlook conferences and Webs; and assist department chair and program faculty, upon request, in communicating relevant College and departmental news.
6. Assist department chairs and program faculty, as requested, in compiling data and completing forms to support departmental assessment projects, course/program change proposals, and other curricular initiatives.
Nursing Specific Essential Functions
1. Assist the Administrative Assistant with the following tasks as necessary:
a. Preparing, processing, tracking, and filing yearly on-site contracts for off-site clinical sites for the Nursing Department.
b. Collecting required student immunizations and maintain all student files and databases. Send e-mail reminders to students and faculty regarding missing information.
c. Gathering all program clinical schedules to turn into the Payroll Clerk for workers’ compensation benefits.
d. Providing student certificates of completion for Nursing Assistant and CNA2 Acute Care. Mail packets with OSBN testing materials to the students who have completed NUR 095.
e. Preparing Annual Survey Report for OSBN . Compile demographic information for the report.
f. Preparing preliminary and completion forms for each Nursing Assistant, CNA2 Acute Care, Practical Nursing and Registered Nursing class for certification and licensure.
g. Preparing additional forms/reports as required by the Oregon State Board of Nursing.
h. Maintaining required program documents for Oregon State Board of Nursing accreditation.
i. Communicating course policies relating to criminal history checks, immunization and CPR to prospective Nursing Assistant and CNA2 Acute Care students and provide department approval to register in NUR 095 and NUR 096.
j. Performing other essential functions as assigned.
Marginal Job Functions
1. Assist with reviewing College Outlook conferences and Webs, print documents and other resources to acquire knowledge of, and keep abreast of changes in, College policies, procedures, practices, and deadlines applicable to Nursing and Allied Health Department operations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
KNOWLEDGE , SKILLS AND ABILITIES
1. Requires advanced organizational skills to track, coordinate, and complete multiple tasks to support the effectiveness of a large and complex academic department.
2. Ability to initiate and perform work as well as anticipate the needs of Nursing and Allied Health Departments in total, as well as the needs of individual instructional staff.
3. Ability to use effectively Microsoft platform desktop computer and various software (e.g., Microsoft Office, Outlook, Banner, Resource 25) and to operate all standard office equipment.
4. Exercise effective interpersonal communication skills to work productively with multiple constituencies, including students, faculty, Fiscal Services, committees, vendors, Student and Enrollment Services, Information Technology Services, Instructional Technology Coordinator, offices of the Instructional Deans and Vice President of Instruction, and support staff of other departments.
5. Apply knowledge of faculty preferences, existing resources, enrollment patterns and other significant factors in schedule development.
6. Prepare for simultaneous deadlines by prioritizing tasks based on urgency, managing time wisely, requesting aid and making referrals as needed.
7. Ability to manage office needs as faculty change, and initiate capital, technology, and furniture requests as needed.
8. Ability to communicate clearly, in writing and speaking, face-to-face, via telephone, and e-mail, using the English language with or without the use of an interpreter.
9. Must be able to perform essential job functions described above.
10. Ability to work cooperatively with and contribute to a diverse workplace through ideas or experience.
OTHER ERGONOMIC REQUIREMENTS
Working hours are regular, per the established work schedule. Work is performed in an ordinary office, mostly sitting. Extended standing with some lifting is performed occasionally. Lifting of objects under 50 pounds is performed on occasion. Computer screen is used about 90 percent of the time. Must be able to climb or pull self upward, kneel, stoop, crawl and crouch. All individuals are required to be able to perform the essential functions without a significant risk of injury or to otherwise demonstrate or explain how they can perform the essential functions listed above.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS :
1. Completion of Secondary Education
2. One year of related office experience, employing effective skills in organization, budgeting, interpersonal communication, and computer-based technology.
3. Expertise in Microsoft Office Suite applications (Word, Excel, Outlook) and knowledge of database applications.
4. Data entry keyboarding skills at a minimum of 55 wpm, supported by strong editing, proofreading and composition skills.
The College recognizes the value of skills and knowledge gained outside of formal higher education and paid employment. Applicants who do not meet minimum qualifications but present other qualifications or experience equivalent to those required will be considered and are encouraged to apply. To qualify under equivalency, applicants must indicate how they qualify under equivalency by responding to the supplemental question presented during the application process.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS :
1. Experience working in a higher education environment (community college or university)
2. Bachelor’s degree
3. Experience with Banner database software
4. Bilingual in English and Spanish
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Is a Criminal History Check required?
Is a Credit History Check Required?
Open Until Filled