Responsible for providing reference, research and information literacy instruction to the campus community, using library materials in all formats. Will assist faculty, students and staff in development of research skills as well as teach patrons how to use the Library’s integrated catalog. Incumbent must assure that the South University philosophy is considered in carrying out the duties and responsibilities of this position: quality services to clients; development, growth, involvement, and recognition of employees; sound economic principles; and maintenance of an environment which is conducive to innovation, positive thinking and expansion.
KEY JOB ELEMENTS:
1. Provide reference and assist all patrons with development of research skills.
2. Create, write and update library publications, such as manuals, guides, bookmarks, bibliographies, subject guides and other information literacy/library promotional materials.
3. Supervise any ILL services offered and contribute content to library web site.
4. Serve as coordinator for collection development. Assist Director of Library in campus community outreach activities, ensuring that library collections meet user needs.
5. Acquire new materials in all formats consistent with overall institutional strategic goals, the library’s collection development policy, and annual budget allocations.
6. Review existing collections for continued curriculum relevance.
7. Oversee repair and maintenance of library AV equipment as well as supervise processing, repair, binding of library materials, in cooperation with Technical Services Librarian.
8. Assist Director of Library in strategic planning and preparation of the annual library budget.
9. Oversee student workers in shelving and inventory of library materials and schedule their work hours to assist in coverage of the circulation desk.
10. Develop, maintain library operations manual. Attend meetings and workshops, and seek additional opportunities for professional development. Other Duties as assigned.
Reports to: Director of the Library
Supervises: Student Workers
Interacts With: Technical services librarian, faculty, students, and staff
a) Master’s Degree in Library, Information Science, or related from an ALA accredited school.
b) At least 3 to 5 years experience working in a library in a post-secondary institution.
c) Held positions of increasingly responsible experience in the industry.
d) Knowledge of subjects usually taught at a post-secondary institution
e) Knowledge of integrated library systems, OCLC, MARC records and current technologies
a) Fiscal and personnel management expertise.
b) Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
c) Strong interpersonal skills with both peer and subordinate personnel.
d) Superior organizational skills
a) 20 hours/ week work effectively as a team member to insure that departmental goals are met.
b) Ability to work well within the principles and practices of collection development.
c) Ability to teach information literacy skills
d) Comfort level with expanding and contracting sphere of influence as required at times by the role.
e) Ability to frequently lift 10 to 15 pounds.
Work Environment & Notice
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The term "qualified individual with a disability" means an individual with a disability who, with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform the essential functions of the position. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate professionally in person, over the telephone, through email and other electronic means, move about the office or school, handle various types of media and equipment, and visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 10 pounds unless otherwise specified in the job description.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Education Management Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity as a critical step in ensuring employee, student and graduate success. We are committed to building and developing a diverse environment where a variety of ideas, cultures and perspectives can thrive.
Education Management Corporation - 11 months ago
Education Management Corporation is among the largest providers of private post-secondary education in North America, based on student...