The Vera Institute of Justice, founded in 1961, is an independent, non-partisan, nonprofit organization that combines expertise in research, technical assistance, and demonstration projects to assist leaders in government and civil society examine justice policy and practice, and improve the systems people rely on for justice and safety. Vera has offices in New York City, Washington, DC, Los Angeles, and New Orleans, and its projects and reform initiatives, typically conducted in partnership with local, state, or national officials, are located across the United States and around the world. Vera is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity in the workplace. |
Vera ’s New Orleans office seeks a Part-Time Administrative Assistant for New Orleans Pretrial Services which is operated by Vera New Orleans. Vera New Orleans has partnered with local criminal justice agencies to develop and implement a pretrial services program to assess defendants before their first court appearances by conducting interviews and verifying the information provided by defendants. New Orleans Pretrial Services will soon also provide supervision of released defendants out of the Pretrial Services office. The Part-time Administrative Assistant will act as receptionist for the Pretrial Services office as the defendants attend regularly scheduled visits with pretrial staff. The Assistant will also provide general office support.
The Part-time Administrative Assistant ’s duties include the following:
- Greet incoming visitors, including defendants, and oversee reception area;
- Answer phone and direct calls for a small office;
- Oversee organization, sorting, and delivery of daily pretrial reports;
- Assist with record keeping including maintaining and updating various charts and logs;
- Work with the property management company to request and follow up on repairs;
- Oversee office supplies and purchase as needed;
- Work with IT services and address equipment repair providers;
- Schedule meetings as requested;
- Prepare routine reports;
- Assist with court date reminder calls to defendants.
Candidates must possess the following:
- Bachelor ’s degree or comparable years of experience in workforce;
- Three years of relevant experience preferred;
- Interest in social justice, commitment to fairness, and basic understanding of criminal justice issues;
- Extremely strong work ethic and a commitment to working within a team;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Ability and willingness to work with defendants in the criminal justice system and with persons under stressful circumstances;
- Experience working with system-involved individuals strongly preferred; and
- Fluency in Spanish, Vietnamese or American Sign Language desired.
Work will consist of four hours a day, five days a week, likely in the morning.
Commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits
Please submit cover letter and resume online. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled; however, we anticipate a quick review process.
Online application is preferred, however, if necessary, materials may be mailed or faxed to
ATTN: NOLA Admin Asst Recruitment
Vera Institute of Justice
New Orleans, LA 70130
Fax: (212) 941-9407
Please use only one method of submission (online, mail, or fax). Please do not email your resume directly to a staff member.
No phone calls, please. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
The Vera Institute of Justice values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
For more information about Vera and its work in New Orleans, please visit www.vera.org
Vera Institute of Justice - 12 months ago