The ACLU of Southern California seeks applications for a Part-time Organizer to coordinate community engagement and outreach efforts with Muslim immigrant communities, including those from the Middle East and South Asia. The Organizer will coordinate workshops and engage in other outreach and advocacy efforts to educate and identify victims of newly-discovered immigration policies that have created barriers to obtaining important immigration benefits for members of the affected communities and led to greater national origin and religious profiling by law enforcement agencies.
The Organizer will work under the direction and supervision of the Deputy Legal Director and a Staff Attorney, and in coordination with the ACLU/SC’s Community Engagement and Policy Advocacy Department, to organize and facilitate a series of trainings for immigrants and advocates related to little-known immigration policies that have specifically harmed Muslim immigrant communities. In addition to organizing and facilitating trainings and workshops, the Organizer will create a community engagement and legal education curriculum and toolkit to educate Muslim immigrant communities about these immigration policies and teach advocates how to identify and assist community members affected by the policies. The Organizer will also work to build a coalition of organizations committed to advocacy to change these harmful policies and practices.
The position is part-time for one year, with potential for renewal based on available funding.
- Plan, coordinate, and facilitate eight “Know Your Rights” workshops for affected community members;
- Plan, coordinate, and facilitate at least two trainings for local organizations;
- Develop a community engagement and legal education toolkit to be utilized in the trainings and workshops and made available online;
- Develop and coordinate a network of local organizations to collectively engage in local and federal advocacy; and
- Provide other support to ongoing ACLU/SC advocacy on these policies on as-needed basis.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred;
- Strong leadership, organizational, and communications skills; must be able to work independently and as part of a team;
- Strong written and oral skills;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment;
- Self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision;
- Demonstrated commitment to defending civil rights and civil liberties;
- Ability to work flexible hours, including weekends, evenings and/or holidays as needed;
- Access to transportation required to attend meetings and events in Southern California;
- Experience working with religious communities and/or immigrant communities strongly preferred;
- Public speaking experience desirable;
- Experience organizing and/or working with coalitions desirable;
- Proficiency in Arabic, Urdu and/or Farsi preferred.
Compensation will paid on an hourly basis at a rate commensurate with experience. This position is not eligible for benefits.
Send cover letter, resume, and three references to:
ACLU of Southern California
1313 W 8th St.Los Angeles, CA 90017.
E-mail: email@example.com .
No phone calls, please.
The ACLU is an equal opportunity employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of any status or condition protected by applicable Federal or State law.
ACLU - 17 months ago
The philosopher Socrates once said, "I am that gadfly which God has given the state." While the American Civil Liberties Union...