Manages the continued development and implementation of patent strategy in a dynamic research and development environment. Prepares and prosecutes patent applications. Conducts patent freedom to operate analyses and due diligence analyses.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
• Responsible for invention analysis, providing advice to the company concerning the patent viability of its inventions and the advisability of filing patent applications.
• Prepare and prosecute patent applications in-house under US and PCT procedures and laws.
• Manage patent prosecution efforts of outside counsel in the US and abroad.
• Assists product development teams in evaluating freedom to operate over third party patents.
• Prepares analyses of patents in regard to non-infringement and invalidity.
• Provides assistance in regard to intellectual property aspects of contracts and agreements.
• Provides assistance in regard to intellectual property aspects of mergers, acquisitions and investments.
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional task and responsibilities.
Preferred Educational Background:
• Undergraduate technical degree required in bioinformatics, computer science, electrical engineering or equivalent.
• Advanced technical degree (Masters or Doctorate) in the above disciplines strongly preferred.
• Patent Registration Number required.
• Law degree beneficial but not necessary.
Preferred Experiential Background:
• 4+ years of patent prosecution experience required.
• Experience in a law firm providing patent prosecution services preferred.
• Experience with patent appeals, re-examination, re-issue, and interference proceedings is a plus.
• Practical experience in physics, engineering or related field is strongly preferred.
• Ability to communicate with cross-functional technical teams to effectively evaluate IP matters is required.
• Working understanding of biological science is strongly preferred.
Illumina is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
Illumina, Inc. - 17 months ago
Illumina elucidates the human genome. The firm makes tools used by life sciences and drug researchers to isolate and analyze...