JOB SUMMARY: The Patient Access Representative registers patients for hospital services by collecting demographic and insurance information, explaining registration forms and processes, reviewing all forms for complete and accurate information, collecting co-pays and deductibles, answering questions, obtaining appropriate signatures, identifying and correcting any inaccuracies and collecting any necessary documentation. This position provides patients and/or families information relating to federal, state and hospital policies and procedures. The Patient Access Representative is also responsible for triaging cases, when appropriate, to financial counselors, supervisors or other necessary staff in order to complete registration. This position also performs general reception duties including greeting patients, responding to general questions, answering multiple phone lines and escorting patients. This is a weekend position. The selected incumbent will work every Saturday and Sunday from 3pm - 11pm.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS PERFORMED:
1) Facilitates patient access to medical services by obtaining demographic, guarantor, and financial information, and providing customer information, collecting co-pays and deductibles, collecting appropriate documentation, correcting any misinformation, obtains and processes medical orders, identifying pre-certification issues in order to full register patients into hospital and to ensure compliance with governmental and hospital regulations.
2) Explains processes and form to patient and obtains signatures where necessary. Provides patients and/or families information relating to federal, state and hospital policies and procedures.
3) Determine needs for documentation, obtain appropriate documentation including proof of insurance, waivers, etc., secure patient signatures where necessary, reviews the patient packet of information for completion and distributes all materials to appropriate areas in order to fully register patients for hospital services.
4) Provides and coordinates basic financial support and guidance by financial screening, education and/or referrals, when needed for evaluation, to ensure that the financial commitment to the institution is arranged for the patient.
5) Responsible for general receptionist duties including greeting patients and families, orienting patients and visitors to the service area, responding to general questions, escorting patients and managing multiple phone lines.
6) Identifies complex registration or departmental issues and triages to appropriate staff member or leader in order to ensure problem resolution.
7) Identifies needs for assistance of other staff and contact parties (e.g., physician, chaplain etc.) if needed to fully meet customer needs; Participate in ongoing communication and collaboration with other departmental staff to ensure registration completion.
Minimum Experience Requirement
- High School diploma or general education degree (GED)
- NAHAM Certified Health Care Access Associate designation
- One (1) year experience dealing with medical insurance benefits
- One (1) year of experience dealing with financial responsibility for patients
- Education in or experience with medical terminology
- Experience in telephone customer service
- Experience in Patient Access and/or registration
St. Vincent Health
- 2 years ago - save job