Hennepin County Medical Center (HCMC) offers employment opportunities in a variety of settings, including our downtown Minneapolis hospital and clinics, and neighborhood clinics throughout the metro area. We are committed to creating a culturally competent and inclusive work and care environment for patients, families, and staff, and we encourage interested applicants with bilingual and bicultural skills to apply for positions at HCMC.
This position is represented by a collective bargaining unit (union).
Current vacancy is full-time with benefits. Bilingual English/Spanish required. Bilingual testing will be given to final candidate and a passing score must be achieved before an offer is made.
- One year data look-up/data entry experience
- Two years experience in customer service involving complex analytical problem-solving skills
- One year experience in a call center with emphasis in a customer service/medical industry OR
- An approved combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of medical terminology and medical scheduling is preferred.
- Bilingual English/Spanish required
One year of post-secondary education
• Responds to calls including patients, physicians, physicians’ office staff, peers, and determines the urgency of the situation and then suggests appropriate referrals.
• Answers the Contact Center lines for department, prioritizes, screens, and redirects calls. Answers questions, handles routine matters and takes messages.
• Schedules all appointments for patients on the computerized scheduling system and works with the manager and supervisor to meet these goals.
• Confirms patient appointments and gives appropriate instructions by telephone or by mailing each patient a letter providing information about the test(s) and any necessary preparation, if scheduled appointment is more than three (3) days out.
• Completes multiple types of outpatient registrations in a professional, accurate, customer-oriented and timely manner.
• Maintains forms in all printers at all times, which may require lifting or carrying cases of forms.
• Works with individual physician offices and their office managers/supervisors to obtain correct information for scheduling appointments.
• Obtains information about patient’s health insurance electronically through the payer websites, and/or by information provided by the patient from the insurance issued identification card.
• Secure payment for services, contract for payment, as well as refer patients for financial counseling or collections of account balances.
• Calculates patient liabilities and works with patients to set-up payment plans or secure other means of payment prior to scheduling. Assist patients and their families with billing and payment plans, and prepayment service collections in order to increase cash flow.
• Utilizes Search America and US Bank Navigation databases for eligibility verification, pre-authorizations, quotes for services and to review/update accounts.
• Collect co-payments and/or pre-payments from patients at time of appointment scheduling.
• Performs other duties as assigned, but only after appropriate training
You've made the right choice in considering Hennepin County Medical Center for your employment! HCMC offers a wealth of opportunities for our ever-changing population and is a place you'll feel challenged, rewarded, and appreciated. We are dedicated to providing Equal Employment Opportunities for both current and future employees, who want to make an impact in our patients' lives. Thanks for choosing HCMC!
HCMC has the following Success Factors that apply to all our employees to ensure competency. They are: exhibits accountability, demonstrates ethics and trustworthiness, delivers customer service, embraces differences, uses resources wisely, communicates clearly, builds and strengthens relationships, champions change and seeks continuous growth. Employees must be able to demonstrate competency in these areas.
Please Note: external applicants selected for an interview with Hennepin County Medical Center must provide data for a Criminal Background Study. Offers of employment from Hennepin County Medical Center are conditional and contingent upon successful clearance of all background studies.