Provides compassionate personal care and support services under the supervision of a registered nurse that assists the patient in the achievement of physical and emotional comfort and healing.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Provides all personal care services in accordance with the plan of treatment assigned by the registered nurse to include but not limited to:
measure and record intake and output
measure and record vital signs, O2 Saturation, weight, height
positioning patients; lifting and turning patients;
applying/utilizing special equipment;
assisting in use of bedpan, urinal or commode;
ambulating the patient;
pre-operative and post-operative care;
application/removal of anti-embolism stocking and SCD devices;
removal of foley catheters;
perineal care; vaginal irrigations (non-sterile); sitz baths non-medicated enemas;
application of heat and cold;
care of the incontinent patient;
skin care to the immobilized patient;
removal of saline lock,
emptying of colostomy bags;
application of appliances for heat and cold;
performing blood sugars.
placing patients on cardiac monitors
set up of oxygen per nasal cannula at 2L/min
collecting, labeling, and transporting of lab specimens.
2. Accurately documents care provided according to policies and procedures.
3. Performs initial and annual competency per job class. Specific ages: neonates, pediatric, adolescent, and adult and geriatric as defined by scope of service.
4. Applies safety principles and proper body mechanics to the performance of specific techniques of personal and supportive care, such as ambulation of patients, transferring patients, assisting with normal range of motion and positioning.
5. Participates in economical utilization of supplies and ensures that equipment and nursing units are maintained in a clean, safe manner.
6. Assists in performance improvement (PI) activities by serving on PI teams as warranted, assisting with PI measures and supporting and implementing changes necessary for improvement.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Maintains performance, patient and employee satisfaction and financial standards as outlined in the performance evaluation.
- Performs compliance requirements as outlined in the Employee Handbook
- Must adhere to the DCH Behavioral Standards including creating positive relationships with patients/families, coworkers, colleagues and with self.
- Requires use of electronic mail, time and attendance software, learning management software and intranet.
- Must adhere to all DCH Health System policies and procedures.
- All other duties as assigned.
Approved previous experience in giving patient care or completion of in-service education classes, high school education or equivalent. Must be able to read, write legibly, speak, and comprehend English.
Physical: Ability to tolerate prolonged periods of standing and walking. Ability to lift and carry 50 pounds with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing up to 25 pounds. Is able to push stretcher/wheelchair with average adult patient. Is able to do frequent stooping and on occasion crouching, crawling or kneeling. Ability to reach reasonable distances in any direction. Ability to run in emergency situations. Must be able to move fingers in a coordinated manner. Must have ability to feel and perceive temperature, texture, shape and size with fingertips.
Physical presence onsite is essential. Hearing and vision must be normal or corrected within normal range. Able to perform duties with or without reasonable accommodation.
Environmental : Includes exposure to human body fluids, disease, infection, lab chemicals and hazard materials and/or cleaning solutions. Requires wearing common protective or safety equipment.
Psychological: Includes receiving delegation, working with team members, addressing conflict, and communicating with all types of personalities.
DCH Health System - 15 months ago
As a community-owned, not-for-profit organization, DCH Health System is committed to providing quality health care services to all residents...