General Statement of Duties
The PCA Non-certified performs a variety of delegated basic patient care services related to common nursing functions and activities of daily living under the supervision of the registered nurse (RN) in a complementary and assistive role. He/she assists the nursing staff in providing patient care in accordance to the PCA’s training, competence and skill, hospital policies and procedures and the Texas Board of Nursing rules for delegated nursing tasks to unlicensed personnel (Rule 224.6). Consistently assists the patient care team with maintaining a clean, well organized, adequately stocked and safe patient environment.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Under the supervision of the RN, performs delegated patient care activities as directed and ordered in accordance with one’s training, competence and skill. Delegated tasks may include:
- Obtaining vital signs, height and weight, intake and output, calorie counts, and/or simple non-sterile dressing changes
- Safe patient handling: Turning and positioning, use of specialty beds, patient transfer and use of transfer devices, ambulation assistance and use of assistive devices, restraint alternatives, oxygen use and transport, suction use, pre-operative skin preparation and/or use of sequential compression devices (SCD)
- Specimen collection to include blood collection for bedside glucose testing
2. Consistently assists with maintaining a safe patient environment to include:
- Addressing identified hazards in the physical environment of the patient room to prevent patient falls
- Hand hygiene and consistent use of standard precautions
- Use of personal protective equipment (PPE) as appropriate following transmission based precautions procedures
3. Communicates timely and accurate information for delegated patient care activities performed to include observed patient response to performed activities to the assigned RN in a written or verbal format following hand-off communication guidelines.
4. Assists the RN to collect data from patients on admission for patient processing and assists with patient transfer or discharge preparations as instructed.
5. Assists patients with performing activities of daily living to include bathing, shaving, oral care, toileting, grooming, changing linens, providing water, assisting with meal delivery and feeding as directed.
6. Performs hourly rounding, consistently uses AIDET when interacting with patients and answers and responds to call lights timely.
Minimum Education, Experience, Training, Required Knowledge, Skill, Abilities and Other Job-Related Characteristics
High school graduate or equivalent education
3. Employee completes initial and ongoing training and competencies as defined by service line, facility and department/unit which are specific to the needs of the patient population served (if applicable).
Previous PCA, Nurse aide, orderly experience in a healthcare setting
Minimum License, Certificates, or Registrations Required
Supervised By: Registered Nurse
Supervision Of: N/A
Environmental and Physical Demands/Hazardous Conditions
( X ) INSIDE: Spends approximately _40_ hours or more per week inside.
( ) OUTSIDE: Spend approximately __ hours per week outside (driving/running work related errands).
( ) BOTH: The activities occur inside and outside in approximately equal amounts.
WORK POSITIONS: (defined in 5% increments of work time):
Ability to lift, push and pull with assistance (mechanical or co-worker) the weight of an average patient/heaviest object specific to the department.
( ) SEDENTARY WORK: Lifting 10 lbs. maximum and occasional lifting and/or carrying articles.
( X ) LIGHT WORK: Lifting 20 lbs. maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying articles weighing up to 10 lbs.
( ) MEDIUM WORK: Lifting 50 lbs. maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing up to 25 lbs.
( ) HEAVY WORK: Lifting 100 lbs. maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing up to 50 lbs.
( ) VERY HEAVY WORK: Lifting objects in excess of 100 lbs. with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing more than 50 lbs.
HCA Inc - 6 months ago
Metropolitan Methodist Hospital is truly downtown San Antonio’s most comprehensive hospital, providing a wide-range of health care...