Stony Brook University, home to many highly ranked graduate research programs, is located 60 miles from New York City on Long Island's scenic North Shore. Our 1,100-acre campus is home to 24,000 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students and more than 13,500 faculty and staff. The University is a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities and co-manager of nearby Brookhaven National Laboratory, a multidisciplinary research laboratory supporting world class scientific programs utilizing state-of-the-art facilities. Stony Brook Medicine is Suffolk County's only academic medical center and tertiary care provider. Many opportunities exist for collaborative research, and in some cases, joint appointments with BNL or with Medical School departments.
Descriptive Title: Patient Care Technician
Budget Title: same as above
Research Foundation Support Position
Department: Pediatric Services
RF Line#: 28540
Campus: Stony Brook West Campus/HSC*
Salary: $27,000 - $32,000
Required Qualifications: High School Diploma/GED. One year of full time clinical experience.
Preferred Qualifications: Certification as Nurse's Aide, HHC, ENT or Medical Assistant. Bilingual Spanish.
Brief Description of Duties: The Patient Care Technician will assist the physicians, residents, and nurses in the clinical care of our pediatric patient population.
- Certified incumbent will perform EKG's and phlebotomies. Incumbent with certification in phlebotomy will perform venipuncture, obtaining serum samples.
- Assist the Nurse and Physician by performing delegated basic and more advanced duties and functions relating to patient care services.
- Record oral and rectal temperatures; pulse rates; blood pressures; and respiration rates.
- Perform EKG's, pulse oximetry, peak flows and spirometry.
- Document accurately and concisely on charts information as required.
- Measure height, weight, and head circumference.
- Collect urine samples.
- Manage inventory to determine the need for ordering new supplies.
- Maintain a clean and healthy environment on unit; perform certain housekeeping functions.
- Assist Clerical Staff with front desk activities including answering phones, chart work, and filing and preparation of paperwork.
Other Duties: Other duties as assigned.
Special Notes: This is a full-time position, 40 hours per week. 8:00 a.m - 8:00 p.m., d ays and hours vary. The Research Foundation of SUNY is a private educational corporation. Employment is subject to the Research Foundation policies and procedures, sponsor guidelines and the availability of funding. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously. FLSA Nonexempt position, eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Night and weekend work is required. Some travel may be required to other clinical sites. *This position is located at the Satellite Facility in Islip.
Prior to start date , the selected candidate must meet the following requirements: Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from Stony Brook University's Employee Health Services (The hiring department will be responsible for any fee incurred for examination), clear a background investigation, submit (3) written references, and provide a copy of any required New York State license(s)/certificate(s). Please be advised that failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation.
Stony Brook University
- 2 years ago - save job