Department: Methodist Family Health Center - Waxahachie
Schedule: Full Time
Shift: Day Shift
Hours: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
* 3-5 Years Experience
* Prior Healthcare Experience Required
JOB TITLE: PATIENT REPRESENTATIVE
DEPARTMENT: PATIENT CARE FACILITY
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: REPORTS DIRECTLY TO OFFICE MANAGER
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: NONE
JOB SUMMARY: GREETS, INSTRUCTS AND SCHEDULES PATIENTS, REGISTERS PATIENTS INTO THE COMPUTER SYSTEM, AND DETERMINES THEIR INSURANCE BENEFITS. SERVES AS A LIAISON BETWEEN PATIENT AND CLINICAL SUPPORT STAFF.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (THIS LIST MAY NOT INCLUDE ALL OF THE DUTIES ASSIGNED.)
1. Maintains strictest confidentiality.
2. Greets patients in a prompt, courteous and helpful manner.
3. Checks-in patients, verifies and updates demographic and insurance information to the medical record. Assists patients with ambulatory difficulties. Follows office scheduling policies. Collects payments and enters charges into computer system.
4. Registers new patients into computer system and verifies all patients addresses, telephone numbers and insurance information.
5. Answers telephone, screens calls, takes messages, and conveys information to appropriate parties. Proficiency with medical office technology systems.
6. Maintains work area and reception area in neat and orderly manner.
7. Advises Office Manager of problems and concerns in the Front Office and helps in problem solving.
8. Attends educational and staff meetings as scheduled.
9. Determine and input daily balance of charges and receipts as assigned by the Office Manager.
10. Follows established policies and procedures; adheres to OSHA Regulations.
11. Must be able to work with other staff members to foster a team approach to the highest quality of patient care and staff cooperation.
12. Must be able to support the clinic efficiency and cohesion.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
Knowledge of front office procedures and medical terminology. Excellent grammar and spelling skills. Knowledge in operation of medical office technology systems. Skill in greeting patients and answering the telephone in a pleasant and helpful manner. Ability to speak clearly and concisely. Ability to read, understand, and follow oral and written instruction. Ability to sort and file materials correctly by alphabetic or numeric systems. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, employees, and the public.
High school education or equivalent
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
1. Strong communication skills with consistent incorporation of judgement and discretion.
2. Working knowledge of medical terminology and coding.
3. Previous two years in a front office using medical management software.
4. Typing or data entry at 40 wpm.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Frequent mobility and/or sitting required for extended periods of time. Some bending and stooping required. Requires occasional lifting up to 50 pounds of boxes of paper. Requires manual dexterity to operate office technology. Requires eyesight correctable to 20/20 to read numbers, policies, and computer terminals. Requires hearing within normal range for telephone use.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS
Work is performed in an office environment and requires both desk and counter work. Frequent contact with employees and outside agencies. Continual patient contact may involve dealing with angry and upset people.
Methodist Health System - 14 months ago