The Patient Services Assistant, assigned to the Escort section, is responsible for supporting the daily transport of patients and specimens as well as providing direction for volunteers assigned to Escort. This position is a highly public one that requires excellent customer service skills, and the incumbent reports directly to the Voluntary Service Officer. Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
· Responsible for the safe and efficient escort of patients, specimens, and other patient related articles.
· Receives transport requests by telephone.
· Establishes work priorities and makes adjustments to comply with new or revised recommendations from the supervisor.
· Prepares and maintains records reflecting work volume and is responsible for the clerical-administrative aspects of scheduling and processing necessary to complete all escort activities.
· Consults with the supervisor to make changes or coordinate work as needed.
· Coordinates the work of volunteers assigned to Escort, assigns requests on selective consideration of transportation method needed to move the patient.
· Makes changes to meet deadlines and priorities set by nursing service.
· Assures compliance with hand-off communication procedures, checking each patient's name band prior to escorting to ensure proper patient identification.
· Makes routine specimen rounds when assigned to assure that lab specimens are picked up and delivered in a timely manner.
· Reports immediately any unusual symptoms of patients i.e., fainting or shortness of breath during time of escort.
· Conducts informal training for employees, volunteers, etc. assigned to Escort.
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. with rotating weekends and holidays and occasional evening rotations. (Schedule may vary occasionally)
Position Description Title/PD#: Patient Services Assistant/#60124A
Promotion Potential: GS-03 is at the full performance level.
Relocation Incentives: Relocation Incentives are not authorized for this position.
Probationary Period: May be required to serve a one -year probation period.
Bargaining Unit Position: This position is covered by the American Federation of Government Employees.
Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Status: This position is Non -Exempt from the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Department of Veterans Affairs - 9 months ago
The United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is a government-run military veteran benefit system with Cabinet-level status. It is...