Job Title: Patient Services Specialist I - Mainland Cardiology - Texas City
Job ID: 33473
Location: Texas City
Business Unit: CACLN
Full/Part Time: Full-Time (40 hours)
Bachelor's Degree and no experience or High School or equivalent and 2 years customer service and/or clerical experience.
The Patient Services Specialist I creates a positive patient experience by consistently exceeding expectations in customer service and patient care, by coordinating clerical and medical activities of a healthcare team, patient registration activities, and facilitating access to UTMB services for new and returning patients.
The salary range for this position is from $30,960.00 to $46,440.00 annually, commensurate with experience.
The pay Band Code for this position is CS13.
Specific Job Related Duties
- Provides high level customer service in all interactions with internal and external customers.
- Provides direct, professional, and knowledgeable interactions with patients, physicians, referral sources, and the treatment team.
- Answers calls accurately and with exceptional customer service at all times.
- Ensures caller¿s needs are met and accurate information is obtained.
- Ensures calls are documented and triaged appropriately ensuring patient satisfaction and patient safety. Completes telephone encounter process if appropriate.
- Acts as patient advocate and liaisons with various departments to meet mutual goals.
- Maintains patient confidentiality regarding access to patient and other clinical information via email, computer, fax and mail
- Addresses concerns of patients, provides service recovery, and escalates issues as needed.
- Applies the policies of the clinical entity to schedule appointments.
- Coordinates financial counseling for day surgery
- Completes reminder calls to patients for scheduled appointments
- Educates patient/responsible parties regarding billing process and any additional financial responsibilities including third party benefits information.
- Provides out-of pocket cost estimates to patients
- Counsels patients about unpaid bills.
- Obtains future appointments at time of service for clinic follow-up, referrals, and ancillary services.
- Arrives patients and prepares paperwork/chart for visit.
- Appropriately receipts all monies collected, tokens distributed, and deferments authorized.
- Verifies, ensures eligibility, and pre-registers patients by obtaining patient demographics and third party coverage(s) at every encounter.
- Obtains and documents information required for third party reimbursement.
- Ensures compliance with Medicare and third party coverage.
- Communicates with patient, referral source, UTMB physician and clinical staff regarding any obstacle to access or authorization
- Fully dispositions each patient within the designated timeline.
- Adheres to internal controls established for department.
MARGINAL OR PERIODIC JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Performs related duties as required.
- Reads all OSA Announcements and relevant communications relating to job duties.
- Successfully completes competency based training and testing on an annual basis.
- Prioritizes and completes all work in an accurate, effective and efficient manner.
- Locks office and secures files containing money or confidential information when away from workstation. Properly disposes of printed patient information, logs off computer when leaving workstation and keeps passwords confidential.
- Participates in team meetings/activities and supports the philosophy and goals of the team/department.
Preferred Work Experience
Position requires outstanding customer service skills; recent experience with proven strong customer service skills preferred. Experience in a medical environment preferred.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution which proudly values diversity. Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
The University of Texas Medical Branch - 20 months ago