St. Louis County has a position for a Payroll Accountant. This position is responsible for federal, state and local reporting; balancing general ledger accounts, submitting journal entries, managing court ordered deductions and advising departmental payroll and fiscal staff on payroll matters. This position reports to the Payroll Manager.
Starting salaries are typically the minimum or within the first 20% of the pay range. Offers are contingent upon budgetary considerations as well as the applicants qualifications.
Examples of Duties:
- Through County payroll coordinators, assists with processing of a timely and accurate payroll each pay period. Coordinates final processing and generation of related payroll registers and reports.
- Reviews and approves payrolls for County employees, including regular, executive, and election workers. Reviews and prepares monthly retirement benefit pay for County retirees. Analyzes and researches exceptions to standard processing.
- Responsible for the proper collection and remittance of all court-ordered deductions. Reconciles and balances related general ledger accounts.
- Reviews, researches, analyzes and interprets complex tax regulations for ongoing compliance. Recommends necessary changes to the Payroll Manager.
- Organizes, compiles, prepares and reconciles financial information relating to payroll, withholding tax, fringe benefit and other deductions.
- Prepares periodic and annual reports, as required, on all payroll expenses, transactions, and payroll revolving fund general ledger account activity to provide documentation of proper reconciliation and ensure appropriate internal control.
- Maintains accounting of miscellaneous employee deductions and remits payments to various agencies.
- Performs related work as required.
A Bachelor's degree in Accounting or a related field and 3 years of progressively responsible experience, preferably in a large organization payroll function. Certification by the American Payroll Association as a Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) is highly desired.